Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Dirty cases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 PM

Dirty cases?

When I shoot factory loads there is very little powder residue on the case but when I reload and shoot the cases get very dirty. I am not so worried about the powder residue as I am on weather this is or can become a problem.
The only thing I can think of is I do neck turn (my guns just shoot better groups when I do).

Any thoughts?

Also I follow the reloading manuals to the letter no over charging a load............
Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dirty cases?

When I shoot factory loads there is very little powder residue on the case but when I reload and shoot the cases get very dirty. I am not so worried about the powder residue as I am on weather this is or can become a problem.
The only thing I can think of is I do neck turn (my guns just shoot better groups when I do).

Any thoughts?

Also I follow the reloading manuals to the letter no over charging a load............

--------------------------------------------------

I have a question for you. ..Why would you think this would be a problem? What are your reloading procedures? do you cleans the cases before you reload? what ar yu shooting(gun & ammo)? what powder do you use?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Earl1704,

The short answer is NO. Factory ammo tends to leave cases cleaner looking, and reloading components tend to leave more powder residue , it just depends on the components.

I find it easier to clean my barrels when reloading with RE-22 and H4831 powders, they seem to burn cleaner then factory powders.

I donít know what Rem, Federal etc. put in their powders but it seems to burn cleaner in the case but then leave barrels fouled all to hell..
Old 12-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

"When I shoot factory loads there is very little powder residue on the case but when I reload and shoot the cases get very dirty....The only thing I can think of is I do neck turn... Any thoughts?"

Yeah. Neck turning, of itself, is not the problem. IMHO.

The factory stuff is likely a higher pressure and/or have a faster burn rate. Your loads are not sealing the case to the chamber walls as rapidly as the factory loads so you get more powder blow back. It happens.

Either increase your charges a tad, use a hotter cap or change to a slightly faster burn rate powder.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with boomtube. Neck turning is a one time thing. Do nothing more than skim the neck with turning cutter.

The most important section of a brass case is the neck. I simply spin the necks of my cases in a pad of 0000 steel wool held between two fingers. . Cleans them up somewhat, but never shiny like factory cartridge. You could also tumble your cases and they will clean up nicely (but won't shoot any better).
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Yep... I don't use Steel wool instead I use a small piece of Scotch Bright The Green Grit. Cut a piece about 1" x 4" fold it in half Hold the case in one hand and rap the SB around the neck and twist it about 3-times.. ... It Rocks...