Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Digital Scale and Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: Digital Scale and Accuracy

I also use the PACT scale and high speed powder dispenser. Work great and speeds up the process with better loads than using a powder measurer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

The new RCBS chargemaster combo is the best thing since canned beer! It halved my charge time, and gives dead on readings. It has a over and under notification, and spits out 43.5 grains of varget in less than 20 seconds. As long as you recalibrate every use it will give you great results. Another home run from RCBS!

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

I recently bought one of the cheapos, and here are the pros/cons (from MY perspective, anyways):

PROS: 1/100th of a grain accuracy (that's the main reason I went with that particular one); clear plastic lid/cover to prevent air currents from affecting the readings; runs on batteries (4xAAA) or external AC/DC power (using an adapter [AC] or a USB power cable [DC]); highly portable (but not exactly pocket-sized); also weighs in mg (1/1000 of a gram); a brass calibration weight IS included; price wuz rite.

CONS: VERY sensitive to vibrations (like when somebody walks by) AND air currents (the clear hinged cover touches the pan when closed, so not really usable for blocking the air currents); runs down batteries pretty fast, despite having an LCD (as opposed to LED) display; but my biggest beef - it takes way too long to fully re-stabilize (at least 20 seconds, I would say), every time a small amount of weight (like a few granules of powder) is added. If not given enough time, the readings WILL be off. I think this might be the issue that most are having with digitals, in terms of accuracy/repeatability.

For the individual who is a real nit-picker when it comes to accuracy (like me), but also has oodles and oodles of patience (unlike me), it just might be the ideal scale.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

"Are there any scales that would work better? "

Yeah; any beam scale. All electronic scales have some degree of time lag for recognising small changes. Some are worse than others but it's inherent in the system and what you get depends more on luck than brand or purchase price.

I was a precision electonix instument tech for most of my working life, there are no digital powder scales on my loading bench and there never will be.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson View Post
Are there any scales that would work better?
My first electronic scale was an RCBS 750 (a Pact), and it was one the the very first generation scales the average guy could buy. Worked just fine with a fifteen minute warm up. It was stolen from me. Bought the samething again, but this time from Pact. This one was a couple generations later in software alone, and is much better yet. Later in a trade I come into a nearly new Pact with the inferred port. Have used it a couple times and seems even smoother in operation. Then I bought a new Pact BBK for use at the range. All are quick enough for anything I do, but the BBK seems a little more sensitive in the hot mid day sun at the range. I did manage to super scramble the software in the second one, and called Pact about it. They coached me thru a complete reboot on the phone, and then called me back in a couple days to see if all was still going well. I still don't know what I did to cause the problem (it would not completely reboot the software in the scale on start up). For all I do the RCBS 750 worked just fine for me, but like I said I moved on. The dealer I bought the RCBS off of was high on the Lymans at the time, and returned 75% of them for repair. I know a couple guys that use the Dillons, and seem to be a pretty good scale. Another pair of guys I know bought the blue one Midway sold a few years back, and one had trouble and the other probably is still using his. They all can fail in the right condition, and the same will go with just about anything. I'm going to build a box for the BBK that has tinted Plexiglass walls and top.
gary
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post
The new RCBS chargemaster combo is the best thing since canned beer! It halved my charge time, and gives dead on readings. It has a over and under notification, and spits out 43.5 grains of varget in less than 20 seconds. As long as you recalibrate every use it will give you great results. Another home run from RCBS!
I'm getting ready to experiment with Varget and Benchmark in the next week or so. (unless I go turkey hunting). Have you weighed your charges on an indipendent scale after throwing them? If so what were your variations? I threw some in my Lyman 55 yesterday, and saw +/-.15 grains, or a .3 grain window. A change in the drop tube will help a little bit, and never tried to be consistent with the handle and knocker. That's better than I could throw 2015BR. Figured out to .01% error. (I was setup to throw 30.0 grains of Varget) If I can hold that same margin of error with 35.5 grains of Varget, it would be even better. Plus well within my limits.
gary
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

"I was a precision electonix instument tech for most of my working life, there are no digital powder scales on my loading bench and there never will be."

Smart fellow! Neither do I!