Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Digital Scale and Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: Digital Scale and Accuracy

[ QUOTE ]
I recently purchased a Cabelas digital powder scale, thinking that it would be easier and faster to measure with, than the RCBS balance beam. When I place the powder into the pan, it gives me the reading, but when I use the trickler after that, it doesn't raise the initial reading until it is way over the target load. Why is this happening?(So much for easier)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem I see w/ digitals as well. From my experience w/ digitals they aren't nearly as fast as Beam scales and they aren't as accurate either. The only use I've gotten from my digital is weight sorting brass and bullets and for that, it works great.

Reloader
Old 09-28-2005, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

samson,
I use a Pact digital scale mainly because i do a lot of handloading at the range, it is not effected by wind our vibration from other people walking through the reloading hut.
With half a dozen or so guys loading for bullet testing and the traffic in and out of the reloading hut to the firing points, you can see where a digital scale is advantageous.
I also use it at home where i have no trouble trickling a tenth of a grain.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 AM

Where was the scale made? If it was China take it back! I have used a Pact for over ten years with out problems.Every time I check with known weights its on the money. The new RCBS unit is tops from the reports that I get back from customers who use them.
Old Bear
Old 09-28-2005, 01:58 PM

RCBS........................
Old 09-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

I will also back the RCBS. I have checked it many times against a beam and has been dead on every time.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:43 PM

I also use the RCBS, it works fine but is slow to change when trickling up. For me the distance from the end of my finger to the mid joint on the trickler is about .1gr so I know about when I am there and I just have to wait for confirmation. The only down side is that mine must have a brand new battery almost every time I use it. (which is only every other month or so).
Old 09-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Bronze Member

First I purchased a digital scale on eBay, then I bought a chronograph. My muzzle velocities varied by as much as 100 fps. I pulled the bullets apart and found up to 0.4 grains discrepancies according to my balance beam scale. I went back to my old scale, velocities are now consistent. I wouldn't even bother to try and sell the scale to someone else, it's crap. It says US Weight on it, but it's made in China...go figure.