Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Digital Scale and Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Digital Scale and Accuracy

I recently purchased a Cabelas digital powder scale, thinking that it would be easier and faster to measure with, than the RCBS balance beam. When I place the powder into the pan, it gives me the reading, but when I use the trickler after that, it doesn't raise the initial reading until it is way over the target load. Why is this happening?(So much for easier) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Digital Scale and Accuracy

That is the way the affordable scales are. they try to retain zero with small shifts (like trickling)

take the pan off, trickle a guesstimate, and put the pan back on.

JB
Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Are there any scales that would work better?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:24 PM
SPONSOR

try the lyman 1200 dps

I have used it and as long as you don't get it close to any other operating electronic devices it works great.

Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

samson,
if you bought it at Cabela's take it back ,they are great for returns. this is a no contest category. the new RCBS chargemaster combo (1500scale and dispencer)is the neatest thing to come along since aftermarket breast enhancement.
the only problem is that my old Powder Pro scale ( that cost me $150 is worth nothing more than target practice).
they are a little spendy,but if you want to go digital this is the best.
UB
Old 09-28-2005, 04:58 AM

simple solution..

RCBS dispencer and scale or PACT.. they are the same product.. works great!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

I'm going on the record against electronic scales for reloading. I wonder how many check their scales against their beam scale for accuracy? With a beam scale, you can see if moving, changing, breathing and it lets me know "it's working". I trust my big Ohaus 304. I don't need to worry about batteries and the effects that low voltage will do to an LED reading.

For quick work such as weighing brass or bullets into groups, electronics are fine. For telling me I've just added .1 or even .05 grains of powder, I trust that twitchin, teeter-totering beam. I do agree that when trickling, it's best to trickle, pick up the pan and reset it back on the electronic scale. With my beam, I lightly touch the beam to get it moving in the same direction every time. One of the keys to consistency which is one of the keys to accuracy is doing the same thing everytime.

Oh yeah! I also like to throw powders from my Harrel's measure when feasible. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Big Al