Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Differences in reloading data?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Bronze Member

Differences in reloading data?

I posted this on another forum, but I figured I would post it here, where there are a higher concentration of reloaders.

You know this is something that has kinda puzzled me for a while.....And I have finally come to the conclusion that 99% of reloading data is worthless, especially major manufacturers published data. About the only manual that I trust is the speer reloading manual from a few years ago.

I have several loads from that book that I thought were a grain or two under max, and were very mild in "my" rifle, they showed absolutely no pressure signs (primers came out the same shape as they were when I put them in), and I look at some published data on Hodgdons site, and my load is a full 2 grains OVER there listed max....I think there max load was around the starting loads in other books, I am convinced they work there loads up find a max pressure and then fully cut at least 5% off the loads for "safety reasons"

Now this brings me to the hypocricy in all this....I have recently bought a few boxes of factory stuff (couple boxes of winchester and federal) They were all loaded so hot I couldn't believe it.....The winchesters the primer showed signs of pressure, and the federal was the same, but the federal brass actually had extractor marks on it!!!! I KNOW these loads were way hotter than anything listed in any manual.

Now my only question is this....Why? Do manufacturers make more money on factory loads than selling the components? I have been reading for years that people claim handloaders cant get the velocity that they get in the factories. Now I am believing they may be right, because I don't think people are crazy enough to load to those pressures....

Alright I will get off my soapbox but has anybody else noticed this?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Differences in reloading data?

Well first of all, factory manufacturers of ammo hace access to new powders that we do not. The biggest advantage to handloading is tailoring the load to your rifle, not having to tune your rifle to factory ammo. Its cheaper too.

My 300 SAUM Sendero is a prime example. I get 34xx fps with 165 gr Factory ammo. I get 32xx with 180gr NPs in the same rifle. The highest velocity I have shot with the same rifle was 2920 fps with 185 gr Bergers and 2950 with 175 gr SMKs. That is a HUGE difference in the same rifle. The 180s shot like poop, but the 165s shoot great.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

I too have noticed the factor loads are stiff. I was shooting 160 accubonds reloads and tried some 160 federal supreme. Difference of 4.5 MOA at 100 yards in elevation. I must say the federals had a much stiffer recoil! Do most reload over Max listed?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Reloading books are a guideline and nothing more. Start low and work up to YOUR rifles max load. No 2 rifles are a liek or act alike. Thats what I"ve learned over the years. I've found that 99% of the time, reloading books are quite conservative. I load for accuracy 1st, then velocity. If Im over by a grain or two according to some book, but my rifle is shooting great, I dont care. They didn't use MY rifle for THERE testing. Thats how I see it anyways.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
I too have noticed the factor loads are stiff. I was shooting 160 accubonds reloads and tried some 160 federal supreme. Difference of 4.5 MOA at 100 yards in elevation. I must say the federals had a much stiffer recoil! Do most reload over Max listed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on where I get the reloading data, and my history with it. Anything over any max load should be taken with extreme caution. I have found that some of the speer reloading manuals to be quite stiff on there max load. But the stuff listed on Hodgdons website to be quite weak....

***as an aside, nobody should exceed max pressures, unless your experienced knowing what pressure signs look like, and even then proceed with caution***
Old 02-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
Well first of all, factory manufacturers of ammo hace access to new powders that we do not. The biggest advantage to handloading is tailoring the load to your rifle, not having to tune your rifle to factory ammo. Its cheaper too.

My 300 SAUM Sendero is a prime example. I get 34xx fps with 165 gr Factory ammo. I get 32xx with 180gr NPs in the same rifle. The highest velocity I have shot with the same rifle was 2920 fps with 185 gr Bergers and 2950 with 175 gr SMKs. That is a HUGE difference in the same rifle. The 180s shot like poop, but the 165s shoot great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that could be true about different powders, but I would think anything a powder manufacturer could come up with would be available to the public.

And as aside, there are powders out there that exceed anything commercially available. WC872 for example. In just about any overbore magnum, with the heaviest bullet possible, it will destroy anything commercially availble in regards to velocity. And do pretty well with accuracy also.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

I know nothing for certain, but...I was paying attention during my business classes and I am sure in my own mind that the factory guys have a much bigger profit margin from their factory loads than they do from their components (i.e. $100+/box for some Weatherby ammo). Why would they cut their own financial throat by giving us the info/components to beat them at their own game. Most, if not all, of the folks working for the manufacturers are probably really great, but the bottom line is they are a business and they MUST keep the stock holders/owners happy.