Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

difference in primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

difference in primers?

Currently I use cci large rifle mag primers but due to not being able to find them anywhere I was wondering how much it COULD effect my load to switch to another brand of magnum primer? Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: difference in primers?

Generally, I don't see much of a difference , if any, in accuracy between the Cci and Federal magnum primers in accuracy. I have experienced differences in ES when changing primers. I have more frequently seen differences using standard primers in my 308 when changing brands. Overall, I'd say it's a crap shoot and the only way to find out with your specific load is test the different primer. I'm doing this right now with my 308 target rifle. This component shortage is murder.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

I should have just got a box of 1000I while I had the chance lol. If I do switch primers should I back the load off? Im not at max anyways, not showing any pressure on the primers. Will different brands show different pressure?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgerm View Post
I should have just got a box of 1000I while I had the chance lol. If I do switch primers should I back the load off? Im not at max anyways, not showing any pressure on the primers. Will different brands show different pressure?
I personally wouldn't bother if you weren't at max pressure. I have never had a primer change put me over pressure given they were all LR primers, and not interchanged with magnum primers.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Well thanks for the quick help I wasn't thinking it would change much besides possibly a little accuracy if any at all.

Of anyone has any warning about it please share, besides that ill just get what I can find in the same sizes and hope for the best. It sucks its like this but im sure we're all feeling the same pressure
Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

I'm not an advanced reloader however I would be somewhat cautious switching primers. I saw a video or maybe a series of photos online showing the different brands of primers grouped together by size/type. They certainly did have very different flame and heat signatures. This will likely cause the powder to ignite and burn differently.
Everyone I am sure is feeling the crunch on ammo and components right now. I'm hoping it eases soon. There are plenty of items I would like to buy but I'm waiting to order when I can get it all in one order. The haz mat fee will kill you on four separate orders as opposed to one larger order...
I will try and see if I can find the primer comparison photo and ill post it.
Good luck and post your results if you can because I'm sure plenty of people will be interested.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgerm View Post
Currently I use cci large rifle mag primers but due to not being able to find them anywhere I was wondering how much it COULD effect my load to switch to another brand of magnum primer? Thanks in advance
If you are nervous about it back off two grains from your standard load. Put together 5 at 1/2gr increments and bang back up and check. When I change primers with any load I do just that. Seems like a waste of time and material but I don't take chances with stuff that blows up and could create some fairly expensive problems.

The standard recommendation is to reduce by 10% and work back up. I just don't go that far back.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein