Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

difference in large rifle primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM

difference in large rifle primers?

Could someone tell me the difference between remington no. 91/2 Large Rifle Primers and CCI Large Rifle Primers.
We had a shortage of Large rifle Primers here for a while and the guy at the gun store told me that there was no difference. I was wondering why there was a large stack of no.91/2 primers and no other manufacturer. I dont want to blow something up if there is a difference.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: difference in large rifle primers?

They are pretty close.

I wouldn't have a problem switching between the two. ...although, I prefer the CCI BR2's or Fed 210M for consistency.

If you're pushing maximum loads, then back down and work up your load again.

Production seems to be bursty. So, you'll find one brand at times when others aren't available.

-- richard
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

I have definitely seen differences in performance between primers, even within the same classification ie. Large rifle. I have a Rem 308 Milspec 308 that shoots best with standard Win LR primers with IMR 4895. Tried other LR's, and Match primers, double checked with my chronograph and confirmed with velocity spread. If the goal was 1 MOA, no difference would be seen but combo gave consistent .25-.5moa. Precision Shooter Magazine had a study a couple of years ago that measured the flash intensity produced by different primers and you could clearly see differences. The bench rest guys at my club are fanatics about this and buy there primers in 5000 ct. of the same lot.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have definitely seen differences in performance between primers, even within the same classification ie. Large rifle. I have a Rem 308 Milspec 308 that shoots best with standard Win LR primers with IMR 4895. Tried other LR's, and Match primers, double checked with my chronograph and confirmed with velocity spread. If the goal was 1 MOA, no difference would be seen but combo gave consistent .25-.5moa. Precision Shooter Magazine had a study a couple of years ago that measured the flash intensity produced by different primers and you could clearly see differences. The bench rest guys at my club are fanatics about this and buy there primers in 5000 ct. of the same lot.
My comments were relative to safety/practicality.

Primers definitely factor into ultimate precision.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

Ran across this chart a while back, it ranks primers by relative power. I do not know how much testing went into this, but I have found that when I went from one primer to another in testing various loads that the primers listed with more power did tend to increase pressure and velocity with same powder and bullet.

Dave

Primer Testing Reference
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)