Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Dies for VLD Bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM

Dies for VLD Bullet

Do all Dies seat the Bullet using the Ogive of Bullet or do some bullets shaped like the VLD need a special Die set. I was told that in some Dies the end of the VLD will hit the bottom of the Die before the Ogive is contacted. My thought is that this would show the differences of the end of the bullets in your seating depth causing variations that can't be seen without a comparator. Trying to decide if I should just buy a comparator or trust that my Dies are seating of the Ogive?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dies for VLD Bullet

My RCBS dies seat VLD's just fine.

But since I want micrometer adjustable seating stems, I am thinking about going with these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...ing+micrometer

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Some dies will hit the meplat (tip of the bullet) while seating vld type bullets. If you pull your stem out you can check it with several bullets and see if they hit. You will notice a little play and that they are not contacting the sides of the bullet due to the tip hitting the bottom. You can usually drill out the hole in the stem with a bit one or two sizes smaller than the existing hole so they work correctly. Berger VLD's will have a wide range of measurements when measuring to the tip for OAL and really should be measured to the ogive for consistent seating.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8andbait View Post
Some dies will hit the meplat (tip of the bullet) while seating vld type bullets. If you pull your stem out you can check it with several bullets and see if they hit. You will notice a little play and that they are not contacting the sides of the bullet due to the tip hitting the bottom. You can usually drill out the hole in the stem with a bit one or two sizes smaller than the existing hole so they work correctly. Berger VLD's will have a wide range of measurements when measuring to the tip for OAL and really should be measured to the ogive for consistent seating.
True story, which is why I started using the Hornady Comparator kit. It works great, even with the VLD bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

I use Berger VLD's and some others, in .224 and .243 calibers. With Redding competition seaters, the meplats do not touch the seater cup. If you have this problem, Redding will send you a new stem with cup for free.

I check them by applying a touch of Prussian blue to the tip and look for contact.