Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Dies for tight chambers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Dies for tight chambers

Just curious what type of dies do some of you use for tight chambers. I am looking for a body die I can use instead of bumping with a FL die. thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dies for tight chambers

Redding makes small-base body dies in select calibers. The small-base dies are sized to minimum SAAMI specs specifically for tight chambers.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Ditto on the Redding suggestion here. Actually, I believe the redding standard dies are set to SAAMI minimums, and the Small Base dies are a bit tighter still. First rate quality, and they do offer body dies that won't touch the neck at all.

What can I say? I'm an unabashed Redding fan.

Kevin Thomas
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member

Wilson for neck sizing, body sizing, shoulder bumping and bullet seating. Any of the others will work fine for full length sizing but once they are fire formed you won't need the full length often.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

I'm resizing brass used from factory bbl to be used in tight chambered aftermarket bbl. Well, obviously could just buy new brass but why waste 250 cases??
Kevin - I agree I luv the redding stuff, I have a body die but so far I hav e not been able to get the old fired cases down enough to fit, and I'm only 1/1000 off ! Damn !
I looked on redding's site and all I could find were trim dies and competition base dies, It doesnt look like they have what Im lookin for- , does anyone know the product #? I hate using the FL dies with all the lube, alos because I'm gonna be neck sizing primarily (after I get these boyz sized down properly)
thanks for the hep.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Lev-Hed,

If I'm reading you right here, the problem may not be the die itself, but the shell holder. Redding makes a set of competition (I didn't name it!) shell holders that are a novel idea. It's a set of shellholders that are set in .001" increments of one another. The idea is that you can set the die with the lowest shell holder, and then adjust a thou at a time by simply replacing the shellholder with the next one in the set. If it's length from datum line that's the issue here, this may be your solution; that or grinding down a standard shell holder yourself. Personally, I'd go the Redding route (yes, I'm lazy), but it's your call. If it's actually a circumfrence dimensional issue, then we're back to the SB body die as a possible solution.

Kevin
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

By the way, if I didn't make it clear, Redding does have body dies, both standard and SB. They're catalog items, and should be readily available from any number of sources. Check the website again, I'm sure you just over looked it.

Hope that helps,

Kevin