Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which Dies Are Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Which Dies Are Best?

I've just started shooting a newly built 300 RUM. I am presently using a F.L. Hornady sizing die and a Hornady seating die with a micrometer adjustment. I'm not using these dies for any other reason than they were the only ones immediately available to me when I started loading for this rifle.
I know that many of you have your favorites in the die selection arena and would love to hear what is the most preferred for LRShooting. I've reloaded for close to 50 years and have always used neck dies to prolong case life. I've owned several Ackley Improved rifles where I've fire- formed the original case and then neck sized from there after. As my LR shooting prior to this past year has been limited to 600 yards or less I'm no expert on what's best for 1000+ yards.
If you don't mind sharing your two-bits worth, throw something in the ring on this thread and lend me some of your great advice. You just might help a host of us out. And, if anyone can advise me on how to post a picture on this site, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

Re: Which Dies Are Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Ballistic View Post
I've just started shooting a newly built 300 RUM. I am presently using a F.L. Hornady sizing die and a Hornady seating die with a micrometer adjustment. I'm not using these dies for any other reason than they were the only ones immediately available to me when I started loading for this rifle.
I know that many of you have your favorites in the die selection arena and would love to hear what is the most preferred for LRShooting. I've reloaded for close to 50 years and have always used neck dies to prolong case life. I've owned several Ackley Improved rifles where I've fire- formed the original case and then neck sized from there after. As my LR shooting prior to this past year has been limited to 600 yards or less I'm no expert on what's best for 1000+ yards.
If you don't mind sharing your two-bits worth, throw something in the ring on this thread and lend me some of your great advice. You just might help a host of us out. And, if anyone can advise me on how to post a picture on this site, it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm discovering that the better dies (I think your Hornady dies fit into this category) each have their pluses and minuses. I use Forster dies in a Forster Co-Ax press. I use their benchrest micrometer seating die. While the die gives me nice control over seating depth I still have to sneak up on the final setting for each round due to variations in bullets. If I decide to seat .020 off of the lands and I seat .021 or .019 it bugs me. So I back the die off each time and gradually approach seating depth. In other words, it's not just the die. A good die will give good results. The finest result comes from the care of the reloader to ensure that everything is done correctly. That's my 2 cents on the "which die is best" question...
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I suppose the custom type hand dies like Wilson's would be best. There really isn't t lot of difference, on average, with threaded dies tho.

They are all made to SAAMI tolerances, meaning you'll find as much average difference between dies of the same brand as between brands. And you will rarely find that one set will have both a very good sizer and a very good seater. Actually, what we get with any of them is pretty good but exactly what we get in any individual boxed set is pure luck of the draw, not brand or purchase price.

Actually, design means more than brand. At the risk of causing some people to have heart palpations, Lee's sizers and seaters are both very well designed and well made too.

Have fun with your new rifle!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks,
I appreciate the info. Has anyone used RCBS's Competition Seater die? It's the one that you can place your bullet in the side of the die before seating. It appears to me that it would be a time saver, particularly when loading smaller bullets like .224 on a progressive press.
I generally reload my .223 and .22-.250 on a Dillon 650 and have been known to drop a bullet or pinch a finger or thumb once in a while. The smaller bullets make my hand cramp when loading several hundred or more at a time.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

"Has anyone used RCBS's Competition Seater die? It's the one that you can place your bullet in the side of the die before seating. It appears to me that it would be a time saver, particularly when loading smaller bullets like .224 on a progressive press."

I haven't, as such, but I've used a Vickerman which is what RCBS copied. I didn't think it was a bit faster than the normal way of seating, in fact it seemed a tad slower than the normal way. I mean, it doesn't take long to sit a bullet on top of a case mouth and push it home while putting a small bullet into a specific slot in the side of the die at just the right time can't be as fast.

Thing is, the old Vickerman seaters died out of the market because they were costly then too, and didn't add a damp thing to the speed of loading nor the quality of the ammo. I see no reason to think that has changed in the last 45 years!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
They are all made to SAAMI tolerances, meaning you'll find as much average difference between dies of the same brand as between brands.
I've heard this several times before, so I went to the saami.org website. They appear to have all of their standards listed there, but make no mention of reloading die standards. The only relevant standards are for cartridge and chamber dimensions, with tolerances.

I've heard of some users who have had custom guns made, and had a set of dies made from the same reamer that cut the chamber of their custom gun.

My question is this: If the brass cartridge expands upon firing to fit the chamber, and then springs back to a smaller size, how would a sizing die cut with the same reamer resize the fired case to be smaller than the chamber?

I can see where, with a tapered body, you could simply advance the cartridge further into the sizing die, and make it smaller. But wouldn't the shoulder be set back too far then? What about the neck, which is not tapered? How would you resize the neck down from the fired diameter to a size necessary for acceptable neck tension, if the sizing die has the same neck dimension as the chamber that fired it (and is already larger than the fired cartridge neck)?

Or am I missing something entirely?

Andy
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Bronze Member

I have tied all kinds of dies over the 40 years that I have been reloading. For the best relative price/quality/precision, I now purchase the following dies when I can:

Lee Collet die
Redding Body die
Forster Ultra seater