Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Dies for 280 AI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Dies for 280 AI

I've finally gotten enough brass to start working on reloads for my 280AI, but I need to know what is needed to get me started. I've got the RCBS system, but what do I need in regards to dies?

Thanks
jrg
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Dies for 280 AI

That depends on whether or not you want to full-length size, or neck-size your brass. I prefer neck-sizing for all my bolt-action rifles. I also use RCBS equipment.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Bronze Member

I'nm all ears and willing to listen to the pros and cons of both MudRunner,..... Everything that I have has been shot thru my gun(the same one I'm reloading for) so the brass is "fire formed" to the gun itself, would the full length sizer take it back to factory spec rather than that of my gun? Thanks for your help

jrg
Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, the neck-sizer dies only reform the neck. They keep the shoulder and base the size of your chamber, for improved accuracy.

Full-length sizer dies resize the base, shoulder, and neck to factory spec, and they will not be fire-formed anymore.

Which is why I prefer neck-sizer dies.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg_80 View Post
I'nm all ears and willing to listen to the pros and cons of both MudRunner,..... Everything that I have has been shot thru my gun(the same one I'm reloading for) so the brass is "fire formed" to the gun itself, would the full length sizer take it back to factory spec rather than that of my gun? Thanks for your help

jrg
I'm a fan of neck dies but you will also need to full length size as neck sized cases become harder to chamber.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

I have a Redding comp seater die and a Redding neck sizer die for my 280AI.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Bronze Member

Ive got a couple 280AI rifles. I tried the RCBS fl die set for a while then moved onto Redding 3 die set with the neck and FL sizing die. I anneal every other firing so the brass never gets too tight in the chamber. When it does I use a head space gauge and bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths with the FL sizing die