Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which die should I use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Which die should I use?

Hello, I am reloading for a 300 Win Mag. I was using a standard RCBS Full Length, Neck, and seating die. I have only been neck sizing and now things are getting tight. I recently purchased a Lee Collet neck die and have a collet body die on the way. From what I gather, when using the "Inovative Tech. Die" this is only for the bulge in front of the belt. I think that I will also need a FL die but dont know which one to get. Any suggestions??
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which die should I use?

Redding & Forster dies a top notch. I may give the nod to redding.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Do the Redding and Forster work the same way? It seems that the RCBS, when Full Length sizing, stretch the case a lot.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

You failed to mention whether your rifle is factory chambered or custom. I have the same problem with my straight factory Model 70 Laredo. I'm using Hornady die and with full power load, I could only reload my brass three times before it gets really tight. I used Federal Gold Medal Match brass. With Winchester or Remington though, I could stricthed it a bit more to 5 loadings before discarding them. 300 Win Mag brass are common and relatively cheap so I don't see it as a problem. Prepping the brass though is another matter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Funny, I asked that exact same question just a few short weeks ago! Well this is what I was told and what I learned!
Junk the RCBS fast - Thank God for Ebay
Buy Lee Collet neck sizing die!
Buy Redding Body Die!
Buy a Forster bench rest seater die!

Never look back!!!

Doug.

Ps, I have used Redding for over 20 years and I never, ever, thought I would tell anyone to use a Lee die. I never, ever thought I would tell anyone to buy a Forster die. Boy was I stupid.... The Forster bench rest seater is every bit as good and I think better then the Redding comp seater. I have used the Redding "S" type neck dies since they came out and always thought I was doing the absolute best job - wrong! Once I tried the Lee Collet and Forster dies w/ the Redding Body die, well lets just say I have seen alot less light at the end of the tunnel (at the target that is). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Buy Lee Collet neck sizing die!
Buy Redding Body Die!
Buy a Forster bench rest seater die!

Never look back!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like what I said!!!

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...true#Post108190
Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

I've used standard RCBS or Bonanza full-length sizing dies for different 30 caliber magnums including the .300 Win. Mag. They've had their necks lapped out to about .002- or .003-inch smaller than loaded round neck diameter so no expander ball is used and sized case necks are very straight. But I've got to use a special body only die to size the case all the way to the belt for best accuracy; regular dies don't do this. Bullets are seated with conventional seating dies. Never had any good results with any neck-only nor the popular partial sizing techniques.

Accuracy at 1000 yards with this process is no worse than about 6 inches with some 5-shot groups down to a couple of inches. I've got the same accuracy with new cases whose heads are decently square with the body axis.