Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

die selection for 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

die selection for 308

Hey guys, fixing to start reloading for 308. Have almost everything except my sizing and seating dies. what do you recommend and why? Not sure if im going to do any "off the lands" stuff as im new to the game.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: die selection for 308

I use mostly RCBS dies for rifle ammo loading. They are a quality produce, well made and the price is fair. RCBS also stands behind their products 100% no questions asked if there ever is a problem. Their dies just plain work. The 2 die .308 set will run you ~$32. (Part #15501) There are X Dies and Competition dies and small base dies and all have their use but for making plain old range and hunting ammo you can't beat those dies IMO.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

I also wanted to become a smart reloader and sold all my Hornady, Lyman and RCBS dies sets. I then baught the Redding Deluxe sets. Very good dies, but their lock rings is crap. I had them all replace with Foster lock rings. Another disadvantage is that the sizer die does not have a vent hole like all the other brands. Why I do not know? So you must be extremely sparingly on lubing the necks since dented shoulder is eminent. Furthermore I used to dip the case neck in the Imperial Wax and thereby lubing the inside of the case neck as well as the outside. This has worked well with Lyman, Hornady and RCBS. But with the Redding die, there was a terrible sqeak when you extract the case from the die through the expander ball. I was advised that I should use a brush to lube the insides of the neck - another additional step in my reloading process. In the end I got the carbide expander balls from redding at nearly half the price of a die set. It works well now. Then I had a few nickle plated cases which I did not want to throw away and which I still wanted to use one more time. I decided not to use my expensive Redding die sets for this. So I bought a Foster FL die in .222Rem and .270Win. The Foster die had a vent hole on the shoulder of the sizer die and the expander ball worked extremely smooth using my dip and size method above. Even sizing the nickle plated cases which is generally regarded as hard to size, was extremely easy. So if you ask me today what is good value for money, I can say the Foster is a good option which I would definitely explore more in the future. RCBS will definitely see me again, but the Reddings I got will be the only Reddings for the future. With Redding the add-on's is making it too expensive (lock rings, carbide expander balls etc) and there is too many hickups with the lube process.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

I use RCBS neck-sizer dies for my bolt .308...If you are reloading for a semi-auto hunting rifle, or an AR10 style rifle, use the RCBS SB (Small Base) AR-Series dies.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

I started with rcbs dies. They are very good as are all of the others. For starting out do the rcbs dies after a couple of years try others. Neck sizeing is good and microiter style seat dies have there place but, for all around dependability with single stage presses you cant beat rcbs.
Once you get into progressive reloading you will need different style dies depending on the press and caliber and that is another story all together
Old 11-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

There's nothing unique about the .308 or it's dies. And no maker produces poor dies, it would have put them out of business decades ago if they did!

What rifle will you be shooting and what will you be shooting at? THAT makes a little bit of difference!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

thanks guys any tips on setting up the dies?