Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Die question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

Die question.

I have run of the mill of the shelf RCBS dies for my 25-06. ( the $35 a set style). I am loading for 115gr berger's using win brass. Do yal think accuracy would be improved greatly if loaded using the reeding style micrometer seating dies and the brass dies that I can remove the expander ball on when loading? Thanks, Brad
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Die question.

that question can be answered with the use of a few tools. do your current dies give you consistant OLA's? Run your loaded shells on a consentricity gauge and check for run out. if its acceptable leave everything alone, if not there are about a million things you can do. I prefer redding S type bushing dies, but they are not cheap The micrometer is not going to help make any better ammo its only a convenience feature. I have and still use the same RCBS dies you have and they are excellent. The good thing about reloading is you can always add a tool or a step to your process, just try stuff, if you like it make it part of your process, if not try something else. I would start by gathering the tools to measure all aspects of your loaded ammunition, from OAL (at the ogive) to run out and neck thickness.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

"Do yal think accuracy would be improved greatly if loaded using the reeding style micrometer seating dies and the brass dies that I can remove the expander ball on when loading?"

No.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"Do yal think accuracy would be improved greatly if loaded using the reeding style micrometer seating dies and the brass dies that I can remove the expander ball on when loading?"

No.
+1

Like tikka mike said, a concentricity gauge may help if you think you have run out issues, but I do all of my loading on regular dies. Regular dies usually go about .030" per screw turn, so go a bit less than calculated, and walk it in. I buy necessary tools, and no more. The rest goes into bullets and powder.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

One other thing you can look at is a Lee collet neck die and a Redding micrometer seater or Forester Micrometer seater. their both great dies, But if your RCBS dies are working well for you your not going to see a great improvement, you should see some though.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
I have run of the mill of the shelf RCBS dies for my 25-06. ( the $35 a set style). I am loading for 115gr berger's using win brass. Do yal think accuracy would be improved greatly if loaded using the reeding style micrometer seating dies and the brass dies that I can remove the expander ball on when loading?
Yes, a steel (not brass) Redding full bushing die will probably do as good as anything. Sierra Bullets uses these full length sizing dies on all cases they're made for testing their bullets for accuracy. And the most accurate reloaded ammo I know of has all been made with such full length sizing dies setting the fired case shoulder back a couple thousandths. Use a bushing about 2 or 3 thousandths smaller than the neck of a loaded round. No expander ball's used so sized case necks will be straighter than dies using expander balls. RCBS also makes full length sizing dies using bushings.

Using such a die, regular seating dies will make ammo pretty straight. It all depends on the case neck being straight. If it's not straight, no seating die will straighten it up as a bullet's seated. Micrometer seating dies help make very accurate small changes to seating depth, but they don't seat bullets any straighter than other seating dies. As long as you seat bullets out far enough to just barely touch the lands when a round's chambered, best accuracy usually happens. 'Course if you have to seat bullets deeper so the rounds will fit a box magazine, then such is life. But straight seated bullets can jump 1/10th inch to the rifling and still have 1 MOA accuracy or better at 600 yards.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Well, I guess what I'm thinking is that with a micrometer die I can dial the ogive to lands distance precisiously for each bullet so pressures and speeds may be more consistant. I'm not sure about what an s bushing die may ad for me over a regular sizing die. Could yal explain the diffrence between the 2 sizing dies. Thank's, Brad