Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Die help- tight die/loose chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Die help- tight die/loose chamber?

Having trouble with redding FL bushing die for 25-06AI.... Even with no bushing installed I feel resistance with the case only about half way in and the only way to size the case is to back the die about half way out and work it a little at a time. I have cleaned the die out a couple of times as per redding instructions and have tried different types of lubes to no avail. Just below the shoulder on an unsized case measures .453 after sizing it is .449...

I talked to the gunsmith I bought the die from and he recomended just going to a neck sizing die. I asked him if this die could be honed out, and he said that might be possible, but it would be hard to cut and might get out of round. Any ideas? I would like to be able to bump the shoulder but will neck size if I must.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Die help- tight die/loose chamber?

Check with forster
They make a great body bump bushing die and can make a custom one for you

Last edited by RockZ; 12-18-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Gold Member

Check with forster
They make a great body bump bushing die and can make a custom one for you.
You can also try a redding body die and see how that works

Last edited by RockZ; 12-18-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

JLC Precision, LLC
Jim Carstensen
13095-450th Ave, Bellevue, Iowa 52031
Phone 319-689-6258
e-mail: jlcprec@netins.net

Send 3 fired cases and a donor Redding body die.
Jim will set you up right, with a bump, or bushing-bump die.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

email jim Carstenson and he can probably hone your existing die to fit your chamber and that would be the best bet, if not as MikeCR said, get Jim to make a custom die off a redding body die.

BH
Old 12-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

"...tried different types of lubes to no avail."

Well, you don't tell us what lube you tried or how you're applying it but what you have is a lube problem, not enough lube or insufficently covering the lower part of the case. Given a good lubing it's easy to reform large cases into smaller ones (I make .243 from .30-06) but without good lubing we can easily stick a case even in the "right" die. And stuck does happen, it's why they sell so many stuck case removers!

Try Hornady's Unique or Redding's Imperial or Lee's case lubes. Apply them lightly but completely, using your finger tips, not a pad. It often takes a couple of partial in-out passes to get the inside of a clean die well lubed but after that it gets easy.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Having trouble with redding FL bushing die for 25-06AI.... Even with no bushing installed I feel resistance with the case only about half way in and the only way to size the case is to back the die about half way out and work it a little at a time. I have cleaned the die out a couple of times as per redding instructions and have tried different types of lubes to no avail. Just below the shoulder on an unsized case measures .453 after sizing it is .449...

I talked to the gunsmith I bought the die from and he recomended just going to a neck sizing die. I asked him if this die could be honed out, and he said that might be possible, but it would be hard to cut and might get out of round. Any ideas? I would like to be able to bump the shoulder but will neck size if I must.
I'd send the dies back to Redding with a couple once fired and unsized cases. I've seen a lot of bad dies come out of the Redding factory over the years, so be prepaired for an argument (you have to fight with them tooth & nail to get anything out of them).

All Ackley tapers are .010" per inch, so you should see roughly .0195" of taper in the case. What is a once fired case showing you? You should be able to measure it with an indicator and a vee block. It is quite possible that the chamber was reamed out of spec, and I would check that before returning the dies.
gary