Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Did I hurt my Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Did I hurt my Barrel

Shooting a Cooper Classic in 22-250AI Been experimenting with a wide range of loads.Out of 200rnds had some pressure signs (Bright shinny ejector marks) however a couple times I blew a primer.Could this have damaged my barrel. I clean it every 10 to 20 rnds.Accuracy is not equivelent of the factory suplied target. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Did I hurt my Barrel

NO, but you may have scarred your bolt face and opened up you firing pin hole a bit.

dont worry yet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Iron Worker,

Cooper range tests their rifles at 50 yards on a machine rest not fired off a shoulder. Keep that in mind, it can be a bit deceiving to a cooper buyer.

They are great rifles but that little bug hole on the paper is not what they will average off a human shoulder.

Its to bad they do not shoot paper at 100 yards but then there would not be simply one hole. They would make very tight groups but not one holers.

I also wish they would test off a human shoulder instead of a machine rest but again, test target would look different.

In my opinion a sub 1/2" group fired off a shoulder at 100 yards is more impressive then a bug hole fired from a machine at 50 yards. I am sure you are doing very well, what are your group sizes?

As JB mentioned there are a couple things that may have happened with your rifle but generally nothing major. Unless your blowing primers all the time which I am sure you are not.

Be sure to keep a high quality moly based grease on those bolt lugs. That will save them on those tight bolt lifts that may occur. Apply this everytime you clean your rifle 20 shots or so.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

IW, what loads are blowing primers? LB
Old 09-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Kinda Strange its happened in Nosler brass only.(Nosler Brass holds 2grs less table salt than Remington 1 gr less than W-W)This happened twice.43.0 H-380 behind Hornady 52gr A-MAX.Same load in Rem brass shot good.Then 46.0grs of W-W 760 behind same bullet.MV of that load was 4,100. Most consistant load so far has been 39.5grs of IMR 4320.(3,900) Shot ok groups with it on range. Went into field for first Varmint hunt Blew up several SF Bay area squirrels.Sitting on 5 gallon bucket shooting off sticks any squirrels I missed I deserved to miss.Squirrels didn't like that load.I'll do the moly grease that you suggested Kirby thanks.Your Allen mags are awesome.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Your barrel should be fine. I wonder abpout that Nosler brass. Is it thicker? Ever put a mic on it? Does it weigh the same? Not saying it is the cause, but wondering about the case capacity thing---2MG
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

You need to get a program and stick with it. You have too many components, brass and propellants. Settle on a powder and case(?) probably 760(?), or 414, & back off 1˝-2 grains from where you blew the primer. You aren't using mag primers, are you? I suggest switching to 55 gr. VMax, the 22-250AI deserves a heavier bullet. Also, yes you could be "hurting" your barrel if you continue to fire X number of primer piercing loads. Do you see excessively flattened or cratered primers, or a black ring around the primers? Excessive pressure, you could get premature throat errosion, and degraded accuracy. Excessive pressure in that case will show up as loose primer pockets, when you seat a new primer. Where are you at, with bullet seating? I don't think you are quite ready for field work, at this point.

Good luck, LB