Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Developing Load for 168 Berger New Brass vs Once Fired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Developing Load for 168 Berger New Brass vs Once Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
What is the best way to determine safe pressures then?
Observe your bolt lift, look at your case head for deformation, primer getting squared off, measure just in front of your case head. If it increases in dia more than (I think) 0.0005
Quote:
If I am not reaching velocities in the SAAMI specs for a give bullet weight does that mean that I am also not reaching pressures?
Nope just means your not getting those velocities

Quote:
Can I at least load to a suggested SAAMI velocity for a given bullet weight and still be safe, assuming I am seeing no bolt sticking or other indicators?
Depends. Some barrels produce high velocities some don't, every rifle every barrel are all different. If getting close to or above list velocities is a big deal for you then about the best bet is to get a custom barrel from a top manufacturer, and have a damned good gunsmith install it.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 05-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

All of the load data that I ever got from Berger was based on quick load.

200 fps seems like a big difference. But, a lot of things can make a little difference and sometimes they stack up to a lot of difference.

- different barrel/chamber/freebore, lands/grooves/twist/length
- different brass.. case volume.. seating depth
- chrony usage/calibration/precision
- different powder/primer lots
- environmentatl conditions including temp/pressure/altitude
- powder scale calibration

I'm sure there's plenty more reasons.

Get a good reloading manual and read it. They go into great length about pressure signs.

-- richard
Old 05-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Observe your bolt lift, look at your case head for deformation, primer getting squared off, measure just in front of your case head. If it increases in dia more than (I think) 0.0005.)
I don't think that's a good way. How much the case expands at that point depends a lot on two critical things. One's the ductile properties of the cartridge brass as well as how thick it is at that point. The other's the difference in diameters between the chamber at that point and that point on a new unfired cases.

I've taken Federal .308 Win. match ammo from the same lot then fired it in a minimum spec SAAMI chamber Hart barrel and a mil spec 7.62 NATO chamber in a match grade arsenal barrel in a Garand. Both had identical bore and groove diameters but the mil spec chamber was a couple thousandths larger at the pressure ring point than the SAAMI chamber. Same ammo had almost 1/1000th difference in pressure ring diameter; the one from the mil spec chamber was bigger. Peak pressure was pretty close to the same amount in each one at least by how the primers were flattened and muzzle velocity was only 40 fps slower in the 24 inch Garand barrel compared to the 26 inch Hart barrel in a bolt gun.