Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Deprime first and then tumble or vice versa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 AM

Deprime first and then tumble or vice versa

New to reloading, what is the process? Do you deprime first and then tumble. I would imagine you deprime and resize and then tumble.

Any pointers would be great

762Man
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Deprime first and then tumble or vice versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Man View Post
New to reloading, what is the process? Do you deprime first and then tumble. I would imagine you deprime and resize and then tumble.

Any pointers would be great

762Man
You don't want to send your brass the through the resizing die when it it dirty. Dirt and grime can ruin your resizing die over time.

I'm sure others will have methods that work just as good, but I deprime using a Lee universal depriming die and then tumble and then run the brass through the resizing die.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Personally, tumble, deprime/resize.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

By tumbling first, you do not have to punch the medium out of the flash hole before loading, but if the case is real dirty, I usually tumble before putting them through the die. Either way is fine and just depends on what your preference is. If you tumble them after de-priming them, then the primer pockets usually are pretty clean for loading. I do both methods depending on the condition of the brass.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Get the depriming die and do that first, then tumble, and resize. I tried the tumbling first, and little bits of corn cob will stick in the flash hole. Then when you try to deprime, the depriming pin will get blocked, or pushed to the side. I broke/bent a few depriming pins this way.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Soon as I get back from the range/hunting, I hand deprime using one of these:
DECAPPING TOOL
Then I swipe the pockets with a pocket cleaning tool(like a blade screwdriver), and wipe case necks with a rag & CarbonKiller. Drop em in the vibratory cleaner.
If you intend to keep carbon off your brass, it's easiest to do so as fast as possible.

After of few hours of cleaning I dump into a sifter, and pull cases each while taping the caseheads with the handle of a small screwdriver to knock bits out of flasholes. Works just fine, and I set them in a loading block ready for sizing.

After sizing, if I needed to lube cases(for shoulder bumping), I drop them back in the vibratory cleaning for an hour to remove the lube. Otherwise, they're ready for priming, charging & seating
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Soon as I get back from the range/hunting, I hand deprime using one of these:
DECAPPING TOOL
Then I swipe the pockets with a pocket cleaning tool(like a blade screwdriver), and wipe case necks with a rag & CarbonKiller. Drop em in the vibratory cleaner.
If you intend to keep carbon off your brass, it's easiest to do so as fast as possible.

After of few hours of cleaning I dump into a sifter, and pull cases each while taping the caseheads with the handle of a small screwdriver to knock bits out of flasholes. Works just fine, and I set them in a loading block ready for sizing.

After sizing, if I needed to lube cases(for shoulder bumping), I drop them back in the vibratory cleaning for an hour to remove the lube. Otherwise, they're ready for priming, charging & seating

I do this exactly minus the second tumble. I'll wipe the lube off with an old t-shirt. Other than that, identical.