Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

decision on chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: decision on chronograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I wouldn't say that... An accurate chronograph can be a valuable tool, but it isn't required to find an accurate load. I have found a number of accurate loads with cheep chronos. I look at the groups. That's what counts.

Yes, I agree with you, however I feel that developing a load not knowing it's speed is potentially dangerous, or at least could be hard on your rifle.
Some rifles shows pressure signs very early, others won't show any signs till they're on the brink of catastrophic failure.

I once had a Winchester M70 Laredo (Winchester's version of Remington's Sendero) in .300 Win Mag. I started loading a long range whitetail load using 168 gr. Barnes T-TSX's and Retumbo... Very quickly found a load that I knew would/should be quite hot and it consistently printed .4 MOA groups.. I probably used this load for 2 seasons, firing probably 300 rounds of it, till" I chrono'ed it and found that it was shooting roughly 265 fps faster than all similar factory ammo - obviously overpressured, but showing no signs on fired cases.
On this flip side of this coin, I own 2 identical Remington 700 SPS's in .30-06, same barrel length/contour, etc... One of them can easily exceed Hornady's published max load (4350/165 SST) by almost 2 grains before I can find evidence like leaking primers (barely) and/or shiny case heads and flowed stamps... The other 700 - I can't even get to the max load before expanding pockets and case heads - as a matter of fact, it starts showing signs at 2 gr. over the starting load!
My point I suppose is that every chamber is different, either by dimensions or surface smoothness, tooling marks, etc., regardless of even being the same make and model - as the 700 SPS that shows signs early must have a much tighter chamber, or extremely excessive headspace, or a number of other possibilities... I've not taken them apart to compare to investigate the cause of this, since these are both "rainy day" rifles that I leave out at locations where they may be useful.

I just think that a chronograph is as important reloading tool as the press or powder scale Again, everyone's needs are different, and to someone just loading standard pressure, factory-dupe'd published loads that aren't going to be used for precision purposes has less of a need for a chrono than I do.. meaning that I'm one of those guys that has to do every single possible step - turning necks, sorting weight classes, uniforming pockets and deburring flash holes -- you get the idea, I'll not go on... All I can say is that I'm the guy most others hate to load with, since my friends can usually load 4 or 5 rounds to my 1 LOL... However, once the targets starts to get really small, all my perfectionist/OCD tendancies begin to pay off ;)

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

If the magneto chrono did change POI on paper just in the development stage and your group size is where you wanted it, would it or would it not shift (poi)back to original POI or zero and if not could it be fine tuned during the drop chart phase?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
If the magneto chrono did change POI on paper just in the development stage and your group size is where you wanted it, would it or would it not shift (poi)back to original POI or zero and if not could it be fine tuned during the drop chart phase?
I have used the MS with a few rifles. On two, there was no change in POI. One did change POI, but it returned to the original POI when the Magnetospeed was removed. Heavier barreled rifles appear less, or not effected at all.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Used to have a chrono beta ,Ickes up an magnito speed v2 I will never look back now . Easy set up and volicity right on.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yup, I own a ProChrono and overall it gives fairly good info but it will give a range of readings depending on light conditions on the same load.

Back in June, Broz sponsered a Long Range shoot in Townsend. We set up his Oehler, my SuperChrono and then 4 of us, Me, Broz, bigngreen and Barnesuser, each shot our rifles over them ranging from 223 to 338 LM with the Magnetospeed attached to the muzzles. The MagnetoSpeed agreed with the Oehler to within a couple of fps when corrected for distance to chrono. Shot to shot variance was very low and averages were extremely close between the 2. That made a believer out of me and my next chrono will be a MagnetoSpeed.

My ProChrono will be up for sale for a good price before long if you're interested
if the magneto and the ohler were close what did the prochrono read compared to the others I have a pro chrono just ordered a magnetospeed because broz says my chrono must be way off reading the loads I have tested out of my 7-300, my magnetospeed will be here Friday, the weekend I will be testing my loads thru each at the same time
Old 09-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300stw View Post
if the magneto and the ohler were close what did the prochrono read compared to the others I have a pro chrono just ordered a magnetospeed because broz says my chrono must be way off reading the loads I have tested out of my 7-300, my magnetospeed will be here Friday, the weekend I will be testing my loads thru each at the same time

The SuperChrono was inconsistent with the other two. I think the reason may have been because it was set up at 14' from the muzzles. After reading the directions more carefully, it is supposed to be set up 17' away from magnums and high velocity cartridges. The biggest inconsistencies were with the high velocity rounds. I did a little wright up on it in another Long Range forum which I'm pasting in below.

I processed the raw data that Broz recorded to calculate actual MV for the Oehler and SuperChrono. I threw out the first shot on the first string since the bayo had come loose. I added 9 fps to the Oehler readings and 8 fps to the SuperChrono readings to get actual muzzle velocites. Then I calculated the differences between the Oehler and Magneto and the Oehler and Super. Then I calculated the ES's for each string. I think the results were interesting.

ES' of the all the readings were fairly close, especially the last 3 strings.

The Super recorded lower readings than the Oehler with the 2 highest velocity strings. It recorded higher reading with the lower velocity strings.

The Magneto was the opposite of the above.

Both the Magneto and the Supper agreed more closely with the Oehler with the slower velocity strings with the Magneto being the closest.

The greatest Magneto/Oehler difference was 13 fps with many in the 1 fps category.

Oehler........ Magneto................ Super ............ O>M......... O>S
3309..............error........ ...........3240 …………………………….... -69
3322..............3335......... ..........3230 …………….. +13…………. -92
3303..............3315......... ..........3256 …………….. +13…………. -47
3325..............3337......... ..........3259 …………….. +12…………. -67
23……........……..22……….......……….29

6 BR

2830..............2829......... ...........2859 …………….. -1………….+29
2833..............2832......... ...........2859 …………….. -1………….+26
2822..............2820......... ...........2839 …………….. -2………….+17
2814..............2810......... ...........2836 …………….. -4………….+22
2824..............2823......... ...........2849 …………….. -1………….+25
19……........……..22……..........………….23

284 Win

2843...............2837......... ...........2862…………….. -6………….+19
2851...............2855......... ...........2852 …………….. +4…………+1
2866...............2860......... ...........2878…………….. -6………….+11
2834...............2831......... ...........2845…………….. -3………….+11
2837...............2836......... ...........2865…………….. -1………….+28
32……........……..29………..........……….33

338 RUM

3093...............3099......... ............3013…………….. +6………….-80
3109...............3117......... ............3036…………….. +8………….-73
3081...............3092......... ............3013…………….. +11…………-68
3097...............3105......... ............3009…………….. +8…………-88
3103...............3097......... ............3036…………….. -6………….-67
28…….........……..25……...........………….27

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The SuperChrono was inconsistent with the other two. I think the reaon may have been because it was set up at 14" from the muzzles. After reading the directions more carefully, it is supposed to be set up 17' away from magnums and high velocity cartridges.
I believe this to be a type O. It was 14' not inches. Just for clarification.

Jeff