Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

decision on chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Silver Member

decision on chronograph

I'm new to long range shooting and reloading. I've used the optimal charge weight method to develop a load for my 300 win mag. I think that I've got a load that will work. I've been having problems with the load not being consistently accurate from day to day. I sometimes shoot when its in the 70s and low 80s which might explain the inconsistency. I'm wondering if a chronograph would help determine what is going on with the consistency.

I've looked at reviews on Midway and Brownells and talked to Chrony, CED, Oehler, and Competition Electronics. CED says that lab testing in Germany shows that their M2 is about as accurate as an Oehler (99.6% and 99.8% accurate), but the M2 got a lot of 1 star ratings on Midway. CED also said that theProChrono is 95.4% accurate. CED says that their chronograph is used at a lot of shooting competitions. The ProChrono has a lot more 5 star ratings than 1 star ratings on Midway and Brownells tech recommends ProChrono. There are both good and bad recommendations here on LRH for both the M2 and ProChrono. The Shooting Chronys tend to get several bad recommendations on Midway and here on LRH.

A lot of guys here on LRH say that a chronograph is useful in developing a load for long range shooting. My gunsmith says that he couldn't develop a load without one, but he is in to custom rifles for ELR shooting. I'm trying to decide if a chronograph is worth $120 to $200. Then if it is worth the money, which one do I get?

Can you help a newbie???
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM

Re: decision on chronograph

I find a chronograph essential in load development. For one you need your MV to calculate correct trajectories. As to which chronograph, I'll suggest you go with what you can reasonably afford. I use the Chrony Beta and this answers my needs.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

I have a prochrono that I use. It seems pretty darn close with MV that when used in my bal program, the drop charts are very very close.

Just follow the instructions that come with it and try not to shoot it.

We even use it to chrono arrows for our bows to establish FPS to make sure our specs meet tournament rules.

The price is right for budget minded shooters as well!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Gold Member

Spend $75 more and get a Magnetospeed V1 Chronograph.

In my opinion, their benefits will easily surpass their slightly higher price. Ask anyone who has ever used a Magnetospeed Chronograph and I would be shocked if 100% of those asked didn't agree.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brno308 View Post
I find a chronograph essential in load development. For one you need your MV to calculate correct trajectories. As to which chronograph, I'll suggest you go with what you can reasonably afford. I use the Chrony Beta and this answers my needs.
A chrono is helpful but not essential. You can determine velocity by drops. One of our members who hasn't posted in a while never used a chrono and was quite successful at LR hunting to over 1K.

To the OP, we had a shoot in Townsend Montana last month and a few of us got together and fired 4 different loads from 4 different rifles with a Magneto Speed and over an Oehler at the same time. The magneto speed was pretty much dead on, within a couple of FPS of the Oehler. The Magneto Speed will be my next chrono. I have a ProChrono and a Shooting Chrony Alpha. I think the ProChrono is slightly better.

The benefits of the Magneto Speed are, very simple and easy to use and light conditions will not affect it unlike all the other optical chronos. It might affect POI slightly but most guys say it doesn't affect accuracy (group size) and no significant POI change.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

You absolutely need a chronograph if you plan on doing any sort of precision handloading... doing so without one is like "loading in the dark"..

I used my grandfather's Oehler for years, which quit on my last Christmas... Since then, I bought a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master series unit, and used it 4 times, first time, it clocked 75% of my shots... every time after that, when I would turn it on, I would immediately get an error message on the display - "Err 2" or sometimes "Err 9".. which indicate problems with the photosensors, but believe you me, I have tried it in every conceivable lighting imaginable... it just simply malfunctioned, permanently.

Since then, I got a Millenium, and it works wonderfully. I've also used Pro Chrono Digital as well, and recommend them both.

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson
Old 07-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Spend $75 more and get a Magnetospeed V1 Chronograph.

In my opinion, their benefits will easily surpass their slightly higher price. Ask anyone who has ever used a Magnetospeed Chronograph and I would be shocked if 100% of those asked didn't agree.
Well said. I love mine.
Romans 12:12