Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Decapping .375 CheyTac as separate step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Decapping .375 CheyTac as separate step

Like the title says, I've decided I want to remove the primer as a separate step, not part of the resizing. I've not seen any tool for this, off-the-shelf hand tool or die. So I've decided to just drill a hole in my bench and fit a shell holder and punch it out that way. Before I do that, I just want to check here to see if anyone knows something I missed. This cartridge is unusually fat since it's almost identical to the .505 Gibbs. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: Decapping .375 CheyTac as separate step

I dont know what dies your using but if you could thread your de-capping rod into your bullet seating die you could achieve this with your press. Hitting a de-capping rod isnt recommended since the de-capping pin is usually carbide and can be brittle.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
I dont know what dies your using but if you could thread your de-capping rod into your bullet seating die you could achieve this with your press. Hitting a de-capping rod isnt recommended since the de-capping pin is usually carbide and can be brittle.
Hmmm, my seating die won't work but maybe I could do the next best thing and get an inexpensive neck resizing die in .408 CheyTac and use it just for decapping.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have de-primed my .408 based wildcats both ways, and actually prefer doing it in a single step just the way you mentioned. There's nothing wrong with doing it by hand, and it will actually allow you to keep tabs on the primer pocket before taking the other steps to re-size and anneal... I do not drag the size button through the necks either...

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Yall do know RCBS makes universal depriming and decapping dies, right? They offer 2 different ones. They are .22-.25 cal & .27-.45 caliber. I have both and they work like a champ. I always deprime my brass before cleaning them, as a seperate step. It is always the first step I do, then I sonic clean, then tumble & polish, then reload. I find depriming first helps clean up the primer pockets alot better.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yall do know RCBS makes universal depriming and decapping dies, right? They offer 2 different ones. They are .22-.25 cal & .27-.45 caliber. I have both and they work like a champ. I always deprime my brass before cleaning them, as a seperate step. It is always the first step I do, then I sonic clean, then tumble & polish, then reload. I find depriming first helps clean up the primer pockets alot better.
Don't think they'll work with the .408/.505 Gibbs case...

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Redding has a large Universal Decapping die for 284 to 50 caliber cases with maximum case length of 3".