Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Cutting Edge Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Cutting Edge Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVN View Post
Joel

Did you notice any heavy coppering after shooting the Cutting Edge Bullets, like what most folks see when shooting the original versions of the borerider bullets?

Coppering has been my main reson for avoiding anything the says its a borerider.

JeffVN
Absolutely no copper fouling in the two barrels that I have shot these bullets out of.
I was pleasantly surprised!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Interesting.

I like to see those that step up to the plate, grab the bit in their teeth and advance to the next level.

I appreciate their warning regarding tight bores. That would be Lilja I suppose. Someone will have to be the pioneer on this.

The downer, though typical, is that the 277 cal is left short at the 130 gr level. But a 160-170 class projectile in 270 would take up about half the barrel length.

where is the mention of tighter bores? I wanted to read that, thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless61 View Post
where is the mention of tighter bores? I wanted to read that, thanks

Home page > Tech Info > Bullet Design says this:

"Driving Band - Portion of the bullet that is between the Seal Tite Band and bore rider or ogive. This portion of the bullet engages the lands, or rifling, ahead of the Seal Tite Band and gets the bullet tracking true to the rifling before the Seal Tite band enter the lands. It is absolutely critical the bullet is tracking properly before Seal Tite Band engages or "stripping" occurs and seal is lost. Our bullets are tested to ensure the driving band is long enough to ensure this does not happen. Since seal is not achieved with the driving band on our bullets its diameter is under nominal caliber diameter to prevent excess pressure. Caution! It is extremely important that if any individuals had a custom barrel made undersize, the driving band diameter must first be measured to ensure it is smaller than your groove diameter or you will get excess pressure. Solid copper does not give like lead core bullets and custom size barrel users must be very cautious. Any SAMMI spec. or factory rifle barrel will not have this problem. The Driving Band length can be customized to allow for more or less jump into the throat to bore angle."

I would suppose the use of the word "extremely" was not unintentional.

They are sounding pretty good to me.....
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Are they hunting bullets, or purely turned copper target bullets?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Are they hunting bullets, or purely turned copper target bullets?
Hunting bullets. They killed a bunch of Elk with them this year from 500 to 1,330 yards.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
Hunting bullets. They killed a bunch of Elk with them this year from 500 to 1,330 yards.
On the former test that you did on drop and all of your other experience you have with these bullets, how do you think they will expand in the field?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

While I've only shot the 6.5mm CEB's, they perform quite well in the field.

*Updated 10/29* Terminal Performance 6.5mm 130gr CEB

LTLR also posted a lot of info about the larger 30 cal & up CEB's. If you can afford them, I don't think they can be beat.

t