Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Crushed loads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Crushed loads?

So here is the dilemna, I go by the book on all my loads and start out low and my case is just about full, what the hey? after checking the powder and the load and scales its right on,
so here I go loading this up,I go to the second setting and its at the top and some of the powder runs over and nothing fits? on a dare I try the posted highest load in my book and its over and snot full of powder is running out, 8 grains is the max in my book and its never in the case.
I am using a long tube funnel to guide my powder.
I hope I don't blow my action or throw smoke and flash all over myself.
I did a few crushed loads that were at the top of my new case and bulged the corner.
I did all my mesurments on my case both length and diamiter, I just hpoe I never blow this one.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Crushed loads?

First off, what caliber, secondly what propellant?

You won't blow up your rifle with an overload, thats what the lateral holes are drilled in a modern receiver for..... to let the fire out.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

I am using the LYMAN #47,loading manual.
The calibe is .308
and the book calls for 46gr and max51.6..
of IMR 4350.
there is no way I can get 48 grains in this load.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

Keith something is way off if there is more powder then what the case will hold! Don't risk injury if you're unsure? Compressed and more powder then will go in a case are two different things, something is wrong?

"Only accurate rifle are interesting" Col. Townsend Whelen
Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Have a friend (who's methodology I certainly won't be copying) who's reloading method for .243 win is fill case to top with WWII surplus H4831, pound bullet in, shoot.

If the book says it's a compressed load, and you've worked up to it, it should be relatively safe.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Keith, very few reloading manuals show IMR4350 in the 308 Win. Hodgdon's own web site doesn't even list it as a powder to use! Sierra does with their 165-200 grain bullets but it's a very slow powder for that case size and for a 165 gr. bullet 48 gr. is under max in their book, but most only start to use it with 200 gr. bullets. I looked through all my books and it's not used much.

I took a new unfired Lapua 308 case, 48 grain of IMR4350 will take the powder to the shoulder/neck juncture using a long drop tube, which is fine. The bulge in your case though is an issue..... it may not chamber or very well?

I'd use a faster powder to honest, I like powders that fill the case well, just not that much and I think it's too slow of a powder in the 308 Winchester.

"Only accurate rifle are interesting" Col. Townsend Whelen
Old 08-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Certainly an issue. I have some 1 pounders of 335 and 322 and Varget. If you want to drive down, I can sell you one of the pounders.....

I'll have to go look and make sure just what I have in the cabinet but I do have extras I can part with......