Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

cronograph's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

cronograph's

Could you guys recomend a good Cronograph? and why?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: cronograph's

I have a shooting chrony that I paid $99 for. It works great from shooting arrows, 338Rum, and my muzzleloader. Keep a fresh battery in it and you will be happy
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Shooting Chrony and a CED. They do not agree with each other, the Shooting Chrony reads higher in all cases. The CED with infra-red screens gives me velocities that happen to match my drops exactly when put into Exbal. The infra-red screens pick up the shots flawlessly.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Been using a Pact PC2 for about as long as they were selling them, and never a hitch. Readings are very similar to a buddie's Ohler 35. (about seven fps difference @ 3500fps). Seriously; I would only consider a Pact or an Ohler if I were buying one today.
gary
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

The Shooting Chrony works well for me given the price and my requirements.

I'm not sure that a better unit would benefit me.

Many shooters here have more stringent requirements.

Like most test equipment, attention to details such as calibration and cross-referencing becomes as important as the stated precision of the equipment at some point.

-- richard
Old 12-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

I agree 100% with rscott5028 on this one....I am on my second shooting chrony after getting better than ten years out of the first one.....

The shooting chrony is very accurate and can be confirmed with actual field drops within reason in most cases..It is an invaluable tool for load developement.....But, bright sunlight & low sunlight angle have given me poor results in the past with large variations...I had quit using it on bright sunny days altogether for that reason....

But since I have discarded the factory sun shades and built a large adjustable sunshade over my chronograph stand...Results now are very consistent from day to day with most forms of light conditions...The shade is a piece of 2 ft. x 2 ft. x 1-1/2" thick "pink" styrofoam, supported on 4 adjustable legs...Allowing the shade to be set at most angles to avoid direct sunlight across the "eyes" and bullet path....Now only the steepest "late in the day" sunlight angles seem to affect result consistancy...

I just read an article about a "box" a guy put over his chrony with an artficial light source.....This looked great, I may experiment with this soon.....

For an entry level chronogragh the Shooting Chrony price is right if you understand and can live with its limitations....

Randy
Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 AM
Gold Member

I've been happy with a Competition Electronics Prochrono. It's quick and easy to set up and it spits out good readings for everything I fire across it.