Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

To crimp or not to crimp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: To crimp or not to crimp?

Crimping works great in some rifles. I actually get better accuracy and lower SD when crimping even in my paper punchers.

The Lee FC die is a very useful tool when used properly. I believe crimping is more useful in less expensive brass such as Win, Rem, Fed, and Hornady where you may have minor variances in neck tension even in the same lot.

Crimping can be overdone and damage bullets. I only use a light crimp on bullets that don't have cannelures. Usually I screw it in until shell holder contact and then 1/3-1/2 a turn more. This gives a light crimp and can improve accuracy in some rifles. You'll get a feel for how much crimp to place as you'll feel an ever so slight resistance when at the bottom of the stroke on the press.

A bullet does not have to have a cann to be crimped. I have rifles that will shoot 1/4 MOA with crimped rounds. It sort of gives me an assurance that everything is the same as well.

I crimp nearly all of my hunting rounds.

Good Luck

Reloader
Old 06-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Bronze Member

Reloading for more than 40 years. Crimp handgun loads only. Never crimped bolt action rifle loads and never had a problem. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Arizona Wildlife Foundation
Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Reloading for more than 40 years. Crimp handgun loads only. Never crimped bolt action rifle loads and never had a problem. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly..........

Here is a 300 yard group 300 Winn. Mag. NO CRIMP 180 TSX 81 grain H-1000 Federal 215 Primer

Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be a wise arse, but how do you know if they would not shoot better if you never tried? I am in no way implying that they would...but they might.
I do admit that your current best load may or may not shoot better, but since when is good, good enough?

edge.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

edge,If crimping is the holy grail of accuracy as Lee Reloading equipment advocates,then a logical conclusion would be that crimping would be all the rage in both short range and 1000 yard benchrest would it not?.......
Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member

I've tried crimping on a 270 Win. It was so long ago that I don't recall why I don't do it any more.

The only rifle cartridge that 'I' know of where crimping makes a 'big' difference is the Hornet w/very light bullets.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
edge,If crimping is the holy grail of accuracy as Lee Reloading equipment advocates,then a logical conclusion would be that crimping would be all the rage in both short range and 1000 yard benchrest would it not?.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let me use your logic.

First, I am not a 1000 yard benchrest shooter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If what you say is correct then ALL, 100% of the 1000 yard benchrest shooters must shoot the exact same load with the exact same barrels with the exact same loading procedures!
Is this the case ? I doubt it!

I would also assume that they are shooting what benchrest shooters shot 10 or 20 or 30 years ago since nobody wants to experiment.

Remember, I NEVER said, or even implied that it would be better in EVERYONES rifle, but if you never tried it then YOU ABSOLUTELY have no idea if it is better or worse in YOUR rifle, and that IS a fact!

edge.