Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Creating tight neck brass for a factory chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 AM

Creating tight neck brass for a factory chamber

So here's my plan. I have a factory rifle with a factory chamber in 308 win. Now suppose I reformed 30-06 into 308 win and reamber the inside neck and then took some measurements and trinmmed the outside neck then voilla! custom fitted 308 win brass! has anyone else done something similar? As far as chamber measurements are concerned how accurate is a cerrosafe casting?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Creating tight neck brass for a factory chamber

Seems like alot of work for very little gain in accuracy. I do not have a 308 Win, but from what I have read, it seems to be an accurate caliber without going tight neck. I think there would be more to be gained with practice and load developement, and partial necksize the brass.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 AM

It's a 1 moa gun, but for the heck of it and to see if I can squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of the darn thing. I was thinking about making a chamber cast and starting from there. Any better ways to do this?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

"..voilla! custom fitted 308 win brass! has anyone else done something similar? As far as chamber measurements are concerned how accurate is a cerrosafe casting?"

It works fine. May or may not help - of course, what is certain in reloading anything? - but the effort is challanging and can be interesting. I make tight neck cases for .308. .243, 22-250 and 6mm International from .30-06 and .35 Whelen. It doesn't make a huge difference in accuracy, nothing does after we get to a certain minimum group size, but every nit-picky thing helps.

I've found the hand held Forster HOT-100 neck turner to be easy to use and it does a great job. Got mine from MidwayUSA, not really expensive and has both a calibrated screw and carbide cutter with a nifty relief angle on the corner to reduce damage to the shoulders.

Cerrosafe is GREAT for chamber casts to obtain the actual chamber neck diameter. I'm cheap, usually use melted "Flowers of Sulphur", powdered sulphur from a drug store for a couple of bucks and it works fine but Cerrosafe is certainly the better casting material. (With either material, don't over-fill the chamber or you will find it locked into the bolt lug recesses!)
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM

You hit the nail on the head, all those little things add up. Alright then, we can craft a whole slew of short action cases from 30-06 brass, but moving on to bigger and better things, how about 300 win mag off of 300 H&H. If I remember correctley they both have the same head diameter but correct me if I am wrong. In the past I have tried to make 300 WSM of of some of my non-reloading friends 300 RUM brass but that diddn't turn out too well and the case capacity was severely reduced.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

IMO you are spending a lot of time "pole vaulting over mouse turds!" but your time.

Equate it to $1000 spinners on a yugo!

At the end of the day, you will still have a factory chamber, factory leade, factory barrel. Just how much do you realisitically expect to pick up in accuracy from the 1 MOA.

What is your runout now from your loaded cartridges?

What kind of ES and SD are you getting now from your present loads?

What is your 308 load?

How much are your current dies squeezing the case down of fired dimensions?

If way, off how do you plan to avoid squeezing down your labor intensive cases back to the same size as the ones you have now? NS only will last 3-5x before hard to close and FL sizing required. By that time neck hardening will be prevalent and will require annealing.

In other words, lot of other things you can do probably that will get you the accuracy IF the gun is capable. If the gun is not, then you can turn cases until the cows come home and it will still be 1 MOA.

However, your time and I would say no more effort than 10 cases to avoid too much dissillusionment.

BH
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

been there, don't think it will make a bit of difference. put your money towards Lapua 308 cases.