Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

cream of wheat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

cream of wheat?

why do people use cream of wheat when fireforming brass?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: cream of wheat?

To see what kind of patern you'll get when splattered on the wall.

Honestly never heard of this?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

A google search would probably produce better answers, but my understanding is that you put a charge (I have no idea how much) of a shotgun or pistol powder into your case and then fill the rest of the case up with cream of wheat as a "filler".

When you pull the trigger, the cream of wheat will provide resistance for the gunpowder and allow the gasses to form the case to your chamber. The reasoning behind the cream of wheat method is that you can fireform brass at your house without wearing your barrel out because you're not shooting bullets. I have no idea the validity of any of the above information, but it's what I've gathered from reading various threads on the subject.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

no im 13 so i am just trying to learn as much as i can.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

that is kinda what i figured

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

I used this method for a 243 Ackley and it worked fine. I loaded 15grs of Red Dot shotgun powder and filled the rest of the case with cream of wheat then stuffed a small patch in the mouth.
It does save barrel life but it's a booger to clean.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Browninglover1 is spot on . I have also heard that toilet paper works as well .....no joke although " clean-up " may be easier than with cream of wheat ! I have used neither method as my Case Forming is in small quantities and I use the bullet into the Lands method .