Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Cow Fireforming and muzzlebrakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

Cow Fireforming and muzzlebrakes

Just wanted to get opinions on COW fireforming and muzlebrakes. I know that using a plug like toilet paper over the cow is a bad idea, as it opens inside the brake and traps gas (aka brake is toast) just like a sabot.
Anybody have any thoughts or experences on just straight COW throught a muzzle brake?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cow Fireforming and muzzlebrakes

I know nothing about this. But you can check out: http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/ and specifically http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/fireform.html . There's an e-mail address there and I suppose you could ask Mr Zermel directly.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Abinook,
can you not unscrew your muzzel brake for COW fireforming? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ian.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

The cream of wheat, frankly, is a bad idea. My opinion. It gets into everything; some of it doesn't exit, rolls back down into the chamber, sticks to the sides and makes dents on subsequent chambered brass. Can also get into your locking lugs and trigger, if you are not careful. You should have compressed air handy to blow it out after every few firings. Adding the tpaper, can't see what that will do, besides keeping the cow from falling out? But, it won't fall out if you elevate the barrel.

Therefore, I have found, (if this is the method you choose to fireform), that you just use your surplus fast powder in whatever amount seems to work best, and wad up a little tp, stick it in the neck, which will create a small pressure buildup, and <font color="red">forget </font> about the cow.

Otherwise, full power loads with bullets are fine, if you are not concerned about using up a portion of your barrel life with substandard performance?

The option I really like is having your gunsmith cut a chamber in a junk barrel, <u>using your same reamer</u> and installing it in a "loaner" rifle. You don't even need a scope, just go to the range with 100(?) loaded cartridges, and shoot rocks downrange. In an hour, you are done, perfect fireformed brass and then you gratefully return the loaner. Works for me.

Good hunting. LB

PS muzzle breaks are generally removeable(?) I don't understand why is it important to use one when fireforming without bullets?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Why would you use a brake when COW forming?
Why would TP cause any problem with a brake? The pressure would easily blast it through the ports if that is where it ended up.

I saw a guy at the range who put a hose clamp around the holes in his brake to see if it affected group size. One shot and it blew the hose clamp to pieces. It was lucky that he didn't injure anyone on the line. I can't imagine that TP could do anything harmful.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Maybe you missed the point? What is the purpose of the muzzle break, in the first place? How much recoil are you going to get from cream of wheat, or any type of fireforming without a bullet? Muzzle breaks don't impress me much, in the first place, speaking as a public range shooter. TP harmful; maybe not? So, are muzzle breaks required; maybe not? Sure looks sexy, though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Good hunting. LB
Old 02-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Heard that Hornady(??) is coming out with a die that takes the initial case filled with H2O then you WACK it w/a hammer and WAAA LAAA its "fire formed". I think I could enjoy that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]