Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

cost per reload

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: cost per reload

This is just my opinion, but here is how I see it.

Years ago, you had to reload to get good accurate ammo. Nowadays you can get some really good factory stuff, but you still can't tune it to your rifle if you want the absolute best performance. If you're going into it strictly to save money on the 3 or 5 boxes of shells you shoot a year, save your money, it's not worth it. If you're going into it because you want the best performance from your rifle and the therapy that goes along with processing your own ammo, then go for it. It's a wonderful hobby to take up. The savings in this case is realized because you are shooting much more.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

If you have been saving your Wby brass and do not have to buy new brass then you are off to a head start on the costs. Wby brass is made by Norma and is very high quality and very expensive, although high quality brass is expensive in just about any caliber.

If you have been throwing your Wby brass away, then go get a brick and hit yourself upside the head several times [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Reloading bullets is about like tying trout flies. Either you do it for the enjoyment of making your own or else it is drudgery and you won't do a good job.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

I have been loading for almost forty years and have saved thousands of dollars!!!I buy my components wholesale.I don't shoot as much now so I am really enjoying the savings!
Let me encourage you to take up loading I load for over 15 calibers and enjoy it very much.Don't get caught up with trying to load precisely enough to put them all in one hole
or there can be some frustration involved with this...
Old 08-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

I don't know or care how much I have saved over the years. I do know that I enjoy sitting at my bench and cranking out a few rounds. My kid has gotten interested in it and we sit down together and load some for his rifles. That in itself is worth any amount I have saved. He is a teenager and has little to do with me these days but reloading and the subsequent shooting brings us together for a little while at least. Get started and you too will get more than you bargained for and you may save in the long run.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

I always figured that I saved about 50% with just raw componets. That is once you have all the reloading equipment and stuff. So depending on how much your gonna shoot you should take it up. Not to mention that if you are looking at any sort of long range shooting you HAVE to start reloading.