Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Correcting runout after the fact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Correcting runout after the fact

So I see some processes and tools on how to straighten up the runout on a loaded and round and I have a question: If you correct this, dont you do two things: 1) oval the case mouth and 2) oval/pooch the neck to one side at the lowest point the bullet comes in contact with the case? Wouldn't this affect accuracy "worser" than just leaving it alone? Seems to me that in order to true up a round to have zero rounout with this method you would end up bending portions of the case.

I need more light.

Last edited by tlk; 03-17-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Correcting runout after the fact

Hope you don't mind if I camp onto this thread. I want to see the responses. My personal opinion is you get better bang for the buck finding and eliminating the process problems that result in runout than you get trying to correct it after the fact.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

The only way to straighten brass is by firing it in your chamber.
When this isn't enough, toss it. Prevent the runout with it's replacement..
Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Mike, I am with you on this. Methinks it is snake oil, for the reasons I posted. I see this process and the new tools advertised for making factory and handloads runout free. I aint buying the reasoning.

If I have ANY ammo loaded on brass that can have up to .003 variation in neck thickness an a single case (WW) , how can warping the neck by pressing on the bullet help?

For neck turned brass, I am still suspicious. If I am wrong please let me know.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

I am in the process of testing this problem and intend to load at least 50 rounds and
then sorting by the amount of run out. then testing loads that are over .002 and straightening
the ones that are .003 down to .002 and comparing them to loads that were .002 with no
straitening and then comparing the ones that were under .001 to some that were straightened
to less that .001 and also try to test the ones that are over .004 after they are straightened
and see if there is any advantage in straightening at all.

I know that sorting by concentricity improves the SDs and hence the accuracy I just don't know
how much you can straighten a case before it hurts SDs and accuracy. That's why I want to do
real test with enough data to satisfy me at least.

I will post my results as soon as I have it. (It will be unbiased because I have no opinion or
hidden agenda ) and just want to know for my self if it is a worthwhile process to improve
My loads.

Al shots will be through a 35 p chronograph and will be well documented in SDs,Velocity and
accuracy in like barrel conditions,Temp, clean and stable conditions.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

I just got the hornady checker/fixer tool. Not sure what to make of it. It barely shows runnout with most of my ammo. My rcbs v-block can show .006 and the hornady might show .001. Sometimes I fix it on my hornady and it actually gets worse checking on the rcbs. It's almost like the 2 units pick up concentricity in different areas. I'm quite sure the hornady might have a problem because it is measureing too close to the support near the tip of the bullet.

ALL THIS BRINGS MY QUESTION FOR YOU GURUS. Exactly how is the case supported in a chamber?? Does it kind of just lie there on the bottom....or....if you have tighter headspace tolerance....say .002 head space does the case actually lift up from the chamber slightly being supported at the base of the case and then at the shoulder?? If that's the way it is then the hornady tool should probably suffice.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Silver Member

BTW----very interested in your outcome J E Custom!! Thanks for your efforts.