Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Corn Cob or Walnut?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Corn Cob or Walnut?

Just remember, any abrasive you use to polish your cases will end up in your barrel.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

I get good results from just chemical cleaning. I boil a 45% water, 45% Apple Cider Vinegar, and 10% Lemon Juice mixture, then pour it into a bucket with my dirty, deprimed brass. I swirl the brass in the bucket for a couple minutes, then let is sit for 1 or 2 hours. After that I pour out the solution, rinse with water, nuetralize with a water-baking soda mixture for a few minutes, rinse again and let dry. If there is any discoloration remaining around the necks, one wipe with a Krazy Cloth fixes it. I deprime before cleaning with a Universal Decapping Die.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Bronze Member

Hey fishry doesn't that get expensive? I have to be careful because my wife watches what I spend. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Gold Member

Geez, guys,
I'm from the south, and I always found that corncobs cleaned just fine. Lots easier on the skin too............... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

I figured on de-priming and neck sizing after this and then final tumbling in the walnut to bring up a good polished shine.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tumble after you deprime or you will be picking walnut media out of the primer pockets! (don't ask me how I know this...please). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

NRA Life Member
Old 03-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Expensive?

Univeral decapping die: $11, works for everything.
2.5 gallon bucket: Cheap
Water: almost free
Krazy Cloth: $3.99 from Sinclair and lasts almost forever
Cider vinegar: Wife says about $2 or $3 for a gallon from Super Wally World
Lemon Juice: A couple of bucks for a bottle, and cider vinegar will work fine without it (50:50 solution).
Baking Soda: cheap and is doesn't take much either.

Clean Shiny Brass: PRICELESS!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I only use enough of the solution at a time to completely submerge the brass, usually about 1/4 to 1/3 of a gallon for about 150 to 200 pieces of brass. Plus, I didn't have to buy a tumbler, so I am way ahead. I also don't have to remove cleaning media from primer pockets and flash holes.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

A comment / question...

I've always been told (and believed the guys) that tumbling neck turned and precision prepared brass dings up the necks etc. and is a bad idea.

So I tumble pistol brass and minute of buck rifle brass and clean the rest with a cloth and rinse one at a time and brush the necks inside.

Have I lost 5 years of my life cleaning brass to unnecessary caution with prepped necks etc.? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]