Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Confused with 300 WSM loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Confused with 300 WSM loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
You shooting same loads and what's change since March? Think you changed primers
Yeah march is about right...i only have about 1 free day a month. Not much time to develop a load. I did change primers. I have tried every type of primer and a bunch of different powders. I am just stuck with an accurate load that is over pressure. I intend on putting in for my elk draw in an area in southern Alberta for early september. The temp can get up to 30 degrees canadian. If i see pressure signs now what am i going to see with weather that is 20 degrees hotter.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

You mentioned your rifle shoots 1.1" with no signs of pressure and .55" but obvious pressure signs. I'd would not want to be shooting loads that showed that kind of pressure; especially on an Alberta elk hunt. I'd feel pretty confident in hunting with a 1" to 1.5" rifle. We all want more accuracy but not at the expense of reliability and safety.

Just my two cents!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Just gonna throw a hail mary here, but that first picture you posted looks awful. The rim looks tweaked. It looks like what I was doing to my 7mm brass when I first started reloading. I wasn't lubricating the case right when I was resizing and it took a little too much force to pull the case back out of the resizing die. The shell holder would bend the rim up ever so slightly. It gave me the tight bolt feeling, and the cases looked exactly like that first picture you posted. Maybe I'm seeing things though.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

Powell, you may be correct. I do lube the neck case prior to resizing. It feels like the case removes from the die fairly easy. Maybe im not using enough lube. I took a look at the cases and I think that pic is a little out of proportion from what see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
Just gonna throw a hail mary here, but that first picture you posted looks awful. The rim looks tweaked. It looks like what I was doing to my 7mm brass when I first started reloading. I wasn't lubricating the case right when I was resizing and it took a little too much force to pull the case back out of the resizing die. The shell holder would bend the rim up ever so slightly. It gave me the tight bolt feeling, and the cases looked exactly like that first picture you posted. Maybe I'm seeing things though.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Bronze Member

as reference my 300wsm load is win brass, 168 tsx, 65 grain rl17, federal gold medal match lg rifle mag primers, 2.92 coal, 3100 fps. this is a sub moa in my win mod 70 stainless and while load development I started getting slightly stiff at 65.5 grains and stiffer yet at 66 grains and only a 50 fps gain so I backed off to the 65 with no pressure signs and very good accuracy. My rifle is bedded, free floated and has a full length alum bedding block as well.

I consider it more of a mid range rifle out to 600 yards and have only taken game out to 400 with it but have taken elk, bear, mule deer, whitetail, and pronghorn with it.

those blown primers are definitely high pressure signs especially combined with stiff bolt. Some times you just have to keep searching and maybe even consider a different weight bullet. If you have a friend with quickload have him run that load for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks south wind, I actually grabbed some Barnes ttsx, accubonds and some bergers in a few different grains from 150 to 185 grains. I'm gonna pick one at a time and start fresh. See where that leads me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwind View Post
as reference my 300wsm load is win brass, 168 tsx, 65 grain rl17, federal gold medal match lg rifle mag primers, 2.92 coal, 3100 fps. this is a sub moa in my win mod 70 stainless and while load development I started getting slightly stiff at 65.5 grains and stiffer yet at 66 grains and only a 50 fps gain so I backed off to the 65 with no pressure signs and very good accuracy. My rifle is bedded, free floated and has a full length alum bedding block as well.

I consider it more of a mid range rifle out to 600 yards and have only taken game out to 400 with it but have taken elk, bear, mule deer, whitetail, and pronghorn with it.

those blown primers are definitely high pressure signs especially combined with stiff bolt. Some times you just have to keep searching and maybe even consider a different weight bullet. If you have a friend with quickload have him run that load for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeders View Post
Powell, you may be correct. I do lube the neck case prior to resizing. It feels like the case removes from the die fairly easy. Maybe im not using enough lube. I took a look at the cases and I think that pic is a little out of proportion from what see.
Do you lube the inside of the neck? I take some of the spray lube and hit my neck brush a bit and run it inside the case to get a little lube on the inside. I also spray up inside of my resizing die a little too.