Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Confused with 300 WSM loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Bronze Member

Confused with 300 WSM loads

I have been trying various powders and seating depths with 168 grain nosler ballistic tips. I've tried IMR 4350, H4381 RL 19,22, H 4350, H4381 sc and H380. I loaded these powders and COAL was to max mag length at 2.858. I started out 4 grains lower than max load for each powder and worked up. Every powder shot better as I approached max load. The powder that shot the best was H4350. My problem is that it shoots the best 1 grain over max listed load at 66.5 grains. I've tried from 60.5 grains and worked up thinking I might hit another node at a lower charge. No luck. At 65.5 grains I get an average group of 1.1 inch. At 66.5 grains I get 0.55 inch. Over the chrony I got a 5 shot average of 3198 with ES of 11.

I am getting weird signs of pressure. For the most part the bolt does not stick, No marks on back of case, primers look good. I shot 45 rounds at 66.5 grains. The first 3 rounds the bolt was slightly sticky but the rest were fine?? I had 1 case have a hole blow out around the primer. Cases are winchester, trimmed to 2.090. Primers are win mag primers. As I drop 0.10 grain in powder the accuracy drops off.

I have attached a pic of the blown primer pocket. Over pressure or bad case? Why would only 3 shots produce a sticky bolt. Rifle was just cleaned prior to shooting.

I have also tried loading 5 to 20 thou back from lands. Pretty much same results.

I just picked up some 180 grain accubonds and 155 grain bergers to try something

Anyone with any pointers? I'm at a loss?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Confused with 300 WSM loads-image.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: Confused with 300 WSM loads

No offense, but was the action completely dry after you cleaned it. an oily or lubricated action may raise pressure? I had good luck with rl17 with the 300wsm. I have had sst and bt's shoot well 30 thousands off the lands. Do you have a tight chamber? I have noticed the redding dies were not squeezing the body of the case as well as standard RCBS dies.
Bob
Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

Well bob, no offense at all. I'm sure I cleaned all oil etc and dry out... I may not have though as I tried to sneak a few hours in between kids soccer and birthdays..I just picked up some RL 17. It is super scarce in my neck of the woods. I'm gonna load some this week and give it try. I will make sure chamber is free of oil etc..

Chamber is not tight. I'm left with the ring after resizing, and yes with Redding dies.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Confused with 300 WSM loads-image.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Gold Member

Id say if you have any sticky bolt extraction at all you are running to high of pressure and your blown out primer is proff of some real excessive pressures. Oil on the action isnt going to make pressures jump so much that you blow a primer. My wsm too is kind of an odd gun. It goes from no pressure signs to severe pressures signs with just a grain more powder. Probably due to the fact that you dealing with a small case realitive to the rest of the 300 mags and that loading data for the wsm is allready borderline hot. Its why the 300wsm runs with the 300 win. Its just loaded to higher pressures. Most mag rounds are underloaded, some to an extream. Guys get used to the idea that its ok to jump 3 or 4 grains over listed loads in them but you arent going to do that with a short mag.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeders View Post
I have been trying various powders and seating depths with 168 grain nosler ballistic tips. I've tried IMR 4350, H4381 RL 19,22, H 4350, H4381 sc and H380. I loaded these powders and COAL was to max mag length at 2.858. I started out 4 grains lower than max load for each powder and worked up. Every powder shot better as I approached max load. The powder that shot the best was H4350. My problem is that it shoots the best 1 grain over max listed load at 66.5 grains. I've tried from 60.5 grains and worked up thinking I might hit another node at a lower charge. No luck. At 65.5 grains I get an average group of 1.1 inch. At 66.5 grains I get 0.55 inch. Over the chrony I got a 5 shot average of 3198 with ES of 11.

I am getting weird signs of pressure. For the most part the bolt does not stick, No marks on back of case, primers look good. I shot 45 rounds at 66.5 grains. The first 3 rounds the bolt was slightly sticky but the rest were fine?? I had 1 case have a hole blow out around the primer. Cases are winchester, trimmed to 2.090. Primers are win mag primers. As I drop 0.10 grain in powder the accuracy drops off.

I have attached a pic of the blown primer pocket. Over pressure or bad case? Why would only 3 shots produce a sticky bolt. Rifle was just cleaned prior to shooting.

I have also tried loading 5 to 20 thou back from lands. Pretty much same results.

I just picked up some 180 grain accubonds and 155 grain bergers to try something

Anyone with any pointers? I'm at a loss?
The case in the picture is Remington also you posted this couple months ago.

300 wsm issue

What was the temp when you were getting blown primers?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
The case in the picture is Remington also you posted this couple months ago.

300 wsm issue

What was the temp when you were getting blown primers?
Tom,

You are correct , the case is Remington. That thread from a while back was in regards to the case bulge which i have chalked up to a poorly cut chamber. I am just looking for some info or direction as my most accurate load is what seems to be over pressure. As soon as i drop down 0.5 gr's i get close to 1 MOA or greater.

The temp was 10 degrees Canadian or 50 degrees American.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeders View Post
Tom,

You are correct , the case is Remington. That thread from a while back was in regards to the case bulge which i have chalked up to a poorly cut chamber. I am just looking for some info or direction as my most accurate load is what seems to be over pressure. As soon as i drop down 0.5 gr's i get close to 1 MOA or greater.

The temp was 10 degrees Canadian or 50 degrees American.

Thanks.
You shooting same loads and what's change since March? Think you changed primers