Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Concentricity Issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:10 PM

Concentricity Issue?

So after loading up my first batch of ammo for my new 6.5-284, I ran into an immediate problem. The round was getting "pinched" into the chamber, and loading was impossible for the load that was supposed to be .010 of the lands. So I thought, hey, I might have had a bad measurement on the COAL, so I moved onto the next depth at .040. this one loaded fine, and shot alright until I went to feed one from the mag, in which case the bullet got stuck in the chamber. Upon removal there was only one side of the bullet with any wear on the surface, and it looked like it was just sheared off. Is this a concentricity issue or something worse? I am going to have a bad time getting things figured out if I cannot address this issue right away.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Concentricity Issue?

I suspect more than one problem here. I doubt it is concentricity. Some pictures would help. I am having a hard time understanding "and it looked like it was just sheared off"

Jeff
Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Basically think of a patch of abrasion starting at the ogive. obviously like it was just jammed, and when it was removed, the copper was rubbed really hard.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to play 20 questions....

How are you measuring distance to the lands?

What made you extract the unfired round?

If you single feed a round of the same OAL (NOT from the magazine) do you get the same result?
Old 12-25-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Sorry to play 20 questions....

How are you measuring distance to the lands?

What made you extract the unfired round?

If you single feed a round of the same OAL (NOT from the magazine) do you get the same result?
20 Q is fine.

Distance to lands was done using the Frankfurt arsenal COAL gauge.

The fact that my bolt would not close all the way without major pressure in which I was not comfortable doing made me extract the round.

If I feed the round as a single, It would only do it on some of the rounds, even those that were supposed to be .100 off of the lands
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBanger View Post
20 Q is fine.

Distance to lands was done using the Frankfurt arsenal COAL gauge.

The fact that my bolt would not close all the way without major pressure in which I was not comfortable doing made me extract the round.

If I feed the round as a single, It would only do it on some of the rounds, even those that were supposed to be .100 off of the lands
Wow. Something is screwed up - that diagnosis is free

More 20Q!

On the single fed rounds that exhibit this issue, are they still only marked up on one side of the bullet? At 100 thou off, do you see/not see the issue 50/50, less, more?

From your first post I am assuming this is a brand new rifle? Is it a custom or factory? Can you index a case to see if the bullet wear always occurs on the same part of the throat (i.e. Always at 3:00)?

New brass? If previously fired, how was it prepped?

Multiple types of bullets tried with same issue, or just one type and lot?

I agree with Broz that it is unlikely concentricity - I am just trying to figure out what to ask to narrow down the potential issues.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Maybe a bad reamer and your chamber is messed up from that????