Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Concentricity Gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Concentricity Gauge

"..it didn't seem to matter what I did, I still had lots of runout...then I started turning my necks....This caused excessive runout on cases that had very good runout after sizing."

Well, case neck turning IS something, isn't it?

Given the same cases and no prep, I doubt the new bushing die will accomplish anything at all.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post

Well, case neck turning IS something, isn't it?

Given the same cases and no prep, I doubt the new bushing die will accomplish anything at all.
I would tend to agree - as I thought I was doing it all correct and didn't believe I needed neck turn. I proved myself wrong on that.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

I use a RCBS Case Neck Turner With Auto Feed. I have found the neck turning tool remove runout to .001 or better. I have more control with a RCBS Pro Trimmer II than a Power trimmer. It is a time consuming step, but it works. When turning the outter neck, let the blade remove only half of the surface area of the neck, so only one side of the neck will be shiney. There is no adjustment when reaming the inside of the neck. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

I just turn my case necks only enough to clean them up if there not concentric in regards to thickness. One habit I got into years ago is when I'm turning necks on a new to me caliber is I will take every case I can get my hands on for that caliber and inspect them all, looking for the worst offender (being that case that has the thin side thinner than the rest) and set my neck turner to just barely clean that one up. My reasoning is that from that point all the rest will also be cleaned up and of consistent neck thickness. I will mic my turning tool and record that setting which is valid only for that caliber, so in theory with cases purchased at a later date can then be neck turned to the same dimensions.

After that, the other factors that I can see effecting runout are sizing and seating dies, and just how good your chamber was cut. If your dies induce runout, the only real fix is different dies, though I can see where turning the loaded round in the shell holder and bumping it in the seating die could help. If your rifle is of high manufacture rate you could very well have a chamber that is not quite concentric to the bore, or the neck portion isn't concentric with the case body portion, I can't imagine where a guy could do much at all that would mean anything without a visit to your GS of choice.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Gold Member

a rubber o ring on the seating die where it meets the press is a help.
partially seating then turning the case before final seating also helps.
the o rings can be bought in the faucet repair section at places like home depot.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

I have three or four concentricity gauges, and right now the one I use the most is a NECO. I like their indicator setup far better than most of the others out there right now, and the readings do repeat consistently.

I like to shave the necks on my cases that I run thru inline dies, but that's just me. Just seems to give me loaded rounds with much less runout, and I can seem to get a better controll over the bullet tension in the neck. I use a Sinclair neck turning tool that I rebuilt (still not in love with it), but will probably buy a K&M sometime this winter. I'd kinda like to try a Wilson outside neck turner sometime in the near future as I see somethings about it the catch my eyes.
gary
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Brno308:

I forgot to suggest squaring your dies; this will also help eliminating runout. Good luck.