Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

CONCENTRICITY GAGE ?? Reloading for 1000 yards and beyond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: CONCENTRICITY GAGE ?? Reloading for 1000 yards and beyond

What cartridge are you using?

If the powder used is too slow for consistant pressure curves, that can cause too big of a velocity spread.

Seven inch range for groups is about as good as long range benchrest rifles shoot. Those tiny 2 inch ones bragged about are at the small end of statistical luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post

If the powder used is too slow for consistant pressure curves, that can cause too big of a velocity spread.

Seven inch range for groups is about as good as long range benchrest rifles shoot. Those tiny 2 inch ones bragged about are at the small end of statistical luck.

AKA "interwebs shot groups"..
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, Gary.

I believe the muzzle brake on M14NM's when TRW first made them was the brake's hole was too small; rain drops settling at their bottom (damned gravity!) caused vertical shot stringing. The US Army Marksmanship Unit spec'e the hole much bigger, reamed out the ones they had. . .no more stringing The USMC team shop did the same thing. As this was an "internal modification" it was within the DCM and NRA rules for service rifles. A few folks forgot this problem making M1A's into match grade rifles. I wonder how many bolt gunners know about this. Lots, now, probably from reading about it here.
was news to me, but makes a lot of sense
gary
Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I shoot a Remington model 700 .300 RUM with a broughton heavy barrel 26'' DE brake. wyatt extended box mag, 210 bergers 85 grains of Retumbo federal 215 Match primers .

I have a thread in the longrange hunting shooting section of the forums . You can see my set up I shoot off of the top of my saburban . prone . I am just getting started .
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Might give H1000 a try, from what I've seen ES, and SD tend to be a little larger with Retumbo.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Might give H1000 a try, from what I've seen time and again ES, and SD tend to be a little larger with Retumbo.
I have some h-1000 on the loading bench as of now . I didnt get it to group as well at 200 yards as the retumbo but I didnt put as much time into it as i did with the retumbo. Maybe I can try it again .

Thanks for the help and advice to all who has replied.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Try a 10-shot group without the magazine installed.

Detachable box magazines don't all fit the action parts with the same contact and tension. When M14NM semiautos were first used in competition, top competitors found that they had to use two magazines that made bullets shoot with good accuracy as well as to the same point of impact for 10-shot rapid fire strings; one with the first two rounds and the other with the last eight. Otherwise,a 1/2 to 1 MOA error happened between two of them. Then find another tight fitting magazine that held its position relative to the action exactly the same for each shot for slow fire at long range. Any relocation of the magazine to the action between shots from recoil is guaranteed to change the way the barrel whips and vibrates for that particular fit.

I doubt yours is any different. If it is, that's great.