Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

CONCENTRICITY GAGE ?? Reloading for 1000 yards and beyond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

CONCENTRICITY GAGE ?? Reloading for 1000 yards and beyond

Okay I think I need to take the next step with my reloading . I have vertical shot patterns that would be small and tight if I could get my vertical spread down. So , do I need to buy a concentricity gage ? To measure my bullets and see if they are in line with center of the neck ? If they measure to be off what then? Do I need to buy another tool ? Needing advice from someone who has been down this road before ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: CONCENTRICITY GAGE ?? Reloading for 1000 yards and beyond

Too much muzzle velocity spread's the most common cause of vertical stringing at long range. In second place is the barrel's got bedding under its chamber area; totally free floating it's typically better.

If you're shooting prone, not putting the butt pad in the same place vertically in your shoulder also causes vertical shot stringing.

What cartridge are you using and what's the load recipie? Are you metering powder charges direct into the case or do you weigh each charge?

Concentricity gauges only tell you how straight the bullets are in your reloaded cases. The smaller the number the more accurate the ammo will be. But it's hard to see the difference in virtually all chambers when the runout's .003 inch or less.

Last edited by Bart B; 08-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Whats your load, ES,SD?
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Too much muzzle velocity spread's the most common cause of vertical stringing at long range. In second place is the barrel's got bedding under its chamber area; totally free floating it's typically better.

If you're shooting prone, not putting the butt pad in the same place vertically in your shoulder also causes vertical shot stringing.

What cartridge are you using and what's the load recipie? Are you metering powder charges direct into the case or do you weigh each charge?

Concentricity gauges only tell you how straight the bullets are in your reloaded cases. The smaller the number the more accurate the ammo will be. But it's hard to see the difference in virtually all chambers when the runout's .003 inch or less.
good post Bart!

I have the same issue with the butt pad, but I'm steadilly working that problem out. You also can get it from the front rest as well, but the amount it gives will vary. High velocity increases bullet spin and thus increases the error in the C/G (.0001" in the C/G is known to give .093" spread at 100 yards). But on the otherhand that spread will also go sideways as well as vertically.

Another way to cause the groups to spread vertically is with a muzzel brake. Most folks don't reallize this, but it will.
gary
Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
good post Bart!

Another way to cause the groups to spread vertically is with a muzzel brake. Most folks don't reallize this, but it will.
Thanks, Gary.

I believe the muzzle brake on M14NM's when TRW first made them was the brake's hole was too small; rain drops settling at their bottom (damned gravity!) caused vertical shot stringing. The US Army Marksmanship Unit spec'e the hole much bigger, reamed out the ones they had. . .no more stringing The USMC team shop did the same thing. As this was an "internal modification" it was within the DCM and NRA rules for service rifles. A few folks forgot this problem making M1A's into match grade rifles. I wonder how many bolt gunners know about this. Lots, now, probably from reading about it here.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Consistency is the name of the game, anything you have that can indicate how consistent your loads are from one round to the next will be good to help you narrow things down. My opinion is do what you gotta do to eliminate variables, a concentricity gauge can be helpful. Ladder test your loads also at a good range like 600 yards or so. I dont do a complete round robin ladder test but I will start at a good modest load and just shoot from there up to see which load provides the least vertical spread is and thats the load I work with.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:25 AM
Platinum Member

I use a rcbs 1500 scale to measure my powder charges. I have a DE brake (shawns) .
My SD and ES are not in the single digits. I have it written down I'll have to find it tho.
I am shooting 7 7/8 inch 3 shot group @ 1000 yards. If I could get the vertical spread down I could shrink my groups a little.

Thanks for the reply's