Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

concentric ammo and velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

concentric ammo and velocity

Within a week I will answer this question myself for my specific situation but wanted to here the experiences of others too. My question is;
does non-concentric ammo have an effect on the ES of a given load?

I just got a concentricity gauge and checked some loaded ammo. Holy Moly is it crooked! Check some fired brass, as well as brass I ran through the new LEE collet neck sizer I got and looks OK. Man the stuff I loaded prior is bad though.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: concentric ammo and velocity

"does non-concentric ammo have an effect on the ES of a given load?"

Doubt you will see a bit of difference in speeds.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

I think it could but it would be dang hard to measure without some really technical tools. Since barrels are not bored perfectly in the center of the steel and do have some wobble in them, if your ammo has bad concentricity too, it could change how the bullet enters the bore and other minute aspects of the barrel could indeed change the ES unless you meausured and indexed each round before firing. This is, again, very hard to determine and would require a lot of other variables be eliminated to test it and some of those variables would be difficult if not impossible to eliminate so I'm afraid this theory will remain armchair theory at best. That is why we must make our ammo as close to perfect as possible to try and achieve perfection and cross our fingers we got a good barrel! And there would certainly be other variables in our ammunition that would affect the ES to a much more severe degree.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

I appreciate the help guys!