Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Compressed Air For Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

Compressed Air For Reloading

Hi,

I have a friend that reloads and he has a minature air system for blowing out cases and such. It is silent other than the air coming out of it. I have asked him what brand but all he says is that he has had it forever and does not know.

Anyone here know of a unit I can use in the reloading room without the hassle of a conventional compressor? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Compressed Air For Reloading

I use compressed air a lot during loading for blowing out cases after being in the polisher etc. etc. but.....................I take the cases out of the loading room and do it either in the garage or the shop. I don't want that much air blowing around inside the loading room.

If you have to have it in the loading room, you could just buy a pressure rated tank, fill it outside and then use it in the loading room or you could plumb air into the room from an external compressor and have a plug in air jack somewhere handy, probably with a regulator at the point of use if your main unit has too much pressure.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

I have a copper tubing line into my loading room for compressed air. I don't use it a lot but it's handy when I need it. My small compressor is in the adjacent garage so it's easy to connect to the line into the loading room when I want it.
But it would be difficult to get much compressed air without a compressor.

Small "pancake" compressors are easy to find these days and they are really helpful for the home handyman. Blow up tires, blow off machine tools, inflate toys, etc. Get a cheap nail/brad driver for home repairs. And 3/8" air impact wrenches can be bought for as little as $15 from Harbor Freight Tools, not professional quality but plenty good for working on our own auto, lawn mower, etc. Small paint spray and sand blast guns are also inexpensive and quite handy.

Compressed air is good stuff!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys,

I keep my tumbler out in the garage for obvious reasons. Major cleaning will all be done in the garage. I watched a reloading video, where they were deburring and chamfering the primer pockets and then either using there mouth to blow them out or tapping them lightly on the bench on the case, or both seemed to be the norm.

I am sure this method works well but using very low pressure air seems to be the way to go for me. I did a google and found a couple minature compressors for Air Brushing that I think will work fine.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

I would add just one thing to everyones reply.

I would look for a oilless compressor for reloading.

No matter what kind of a compressor you choose be sure and place a dryer
in line or near the blowgun to prevent putting mosture in the cases that
might cause trouble.

No reason to put anything in the case that does not belong there.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

I buy compressed air in cans from the walmart over in electronics. One can will last me a long time. I use it all the time when I am bedding stocks and so forth. I bought two cans forever ago and they are still going.
T
Old 11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

I finally got an answer from my friend as to what he was using. It seems many years ago he bought a camera cleaning unit. Basically a small CO2 bottle with hose and air nozzle. He has since went to compressed air in a can. I think I will go this route.

I'm glad Wally World has them