Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Component availability...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

Component availability...

What is going on around here? I have a Savage 10FP chambered for .308 Winchester that I have taken my time to work up loads for using popular components, such as Sierra MatchKings and Federal GM primers.

It seems as of lately that the two above components are so scarce that stores/catalog companies won't even guestimate when orders will be filled. What is going on?

Some have talked about a war effort. However I have only seen this low inventory problem over the last year, yet we have been fighting wars for 5+ years. Wouldn't we have seen this sooner if it was a real problem?

Others still have talked about the cost of materials effecting availability. When prices on copper doubled last year the price of ammo increased sharply as well, and was still readily available on the store shelves.

What's going on???

EH
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Component availability...

I can not confirm all of this, just what I have been told and read a little about. President elect Obama is planning on enacting higher taxes on ammo. He also wants to ban any military type assault weapon (try finding an AR lately?) Then, there are bills trying to be passed at a state level for ammunition serialization, which will no doubt run the cost of ammo up. Also with the serialization, after I think 2012 any one caught using ammo that is not serialized will face criminal charges. Also heard government is trying to ban reloading as well. How true this is, I don't know, but I did wait around to start stock piling reloading components. Since Obama was elected everyone I know of is stock piling weapons and ammo. Buddy of mine, bought 2 Ar-15 and is leaving them in the box. He said in a year the price will double and if money gets tight he can sell them.

Please if I wrong on any of this, let me know. Like I said, I can't confirm all of this, some is hear say, some is what I have been reading about.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

The shortage of Fed 210 GM is at least two years old and possibly longer. This was directly related to the military need for primers. The same thing happened with small stock makers such as MacMillan and small barrel makers who had military contracts and did not have the ability to increase production quickly. They had to honor their military contracts and their regular customers were the ones that suffered delays.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

If any one is in a pinch for winchester .223 brass, I may be able to help them out.
One of my suppliers who is not known for selling reloading supplies, is sitting on 700 bags of it.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 AM

Over the past 18 months, I find that components, specifically primers, kind of come and go. I was in Gander Mountain yesterday; Fed primers were plentiful, but no other brands in stock. My local gun shop has Fed, Rem and some CCI, but no Winchester fot 6 months. I've not heard what I consider a valid explanation... theere were shortages attributed to the war in Iraq, but that's passed. Can't believe Obama's election has (yet) created shortages. Don't understand it
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Bronze Member

Well, after having so many problems getting components I have come to 2 conclusions: 1) I will buy large quantities of components and sit on them for a few years, and 2) I don't shoot much centerfire because of the already increased cost of ammo, but will begin to shoot much less because of the rampant unavailability of components.

What can I say other than if I can't shoot my .308 I'll have to find some other way to spend my time. Hopefully the producers haven't lost too many customers because of their inability to adapt to increased demand.

Sounds harsh I know, but the invisible hand is blind.

EH
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Right now the shortages are from panic buyers,they think Obama will take everything away from us,so they are stock piling.I think once he's in there for a while and everyone calms down,things will be easier to find.I think this happens anytime a Democrat is elected.