Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Competition Dies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

Competition Dies?

I was told by a freind of mine that I needed to get some competition dies to bring my reloading to the next level and was wondering if they are any better and if so what ones do I need? The Seating and the Full Length sizing die? He said that it would help to get the bullet into the case a little straiter and he said that it would just all in all help the accuracy of my reloads.

I have always used just the standard dies from RCBS and didn't even know that they made the competition dies and was wondering if there is any truth to what he told me? If any of you could give me some guidance and some insight on this it would be much appreciated.

Oh and I reload for my 7mm rem mag.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Competition Dies?

I went with the Redding Comp dies for my 338 LM.It'll be the first time I'm using them as well.
If your main concern is bullet alignment,Bersin has a new alignment tool out that looks pretty interesting.
Besides better bullet alignment,the comp dies usually let you control the neck sizing with different size bushings along with more precise mic adjustments for the amount of the neck to be resized and bullet depth.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Have them for all my calibers. Wouldn't be without them for absolute accuracy and EASE of loading.

Reddings are my personal favorite of the factory type, and they make making adjustments so much easier because of the floating supporting sleeve and the micrometer tops.

Probably the best set to get is the Redding Competition Neck die set. It comes with a comp neck sizer, comp seater, and a body die for just pushing the shoulder back without touching the neck. I use this last die just when the brass won't go back in the chamber and I push the shoulder back only about .001-.002"

The bushings mentioned earlier also have many, many advantages that can be found on Redding website: www.reddingreloading.com
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Writers Guild

First off, you need to find out if you have a problem. If your sizing die rod is not true, it can bend the neck as the expander ball is pulled through. This causes excessive runout and runout is bad for accuracy.

Measure your ammo after each stage to determine if runout is being created. Of course, compare to the fired case just to make sure your chamber is straight and true. Odds are it is.

For many cartridges, best neck tension for hunting rds is 3 thou under bullet diameter. You can get that by using a standard die, a bushing die, or a collet neck die.

I usually don't find a problem with the seating process but some seating stems are wonky.

Measure your ammo and find out what you need.

Jerry
Old 04-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Jerry has it right. If you don't have a problem you simply don't have a problem. I've seen tons of people have problems after they've bought the fancy bushing dies. Competition this and competition that. If you have good brass with good neck tension it doesn't matter what dies made it. I can almost guarantee you that if you give me a set of hornady dies and let me work with your brass and fine tune those dies I can make 90% of your loaded rounds come out to .003" and under for runout and your neck tension will be very consistant. From here on out the MOST IMPORTANT ACCURACY FACTORS WILL BE IN PLAY....and in my book those factors will be how the bullet, powder, seating depth, match the harmonics of your barrel. Thats where 95% of your accuracy comes from!!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen tons of people have problems after they've bought the fancy bushing dies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be willing to bet not near as many problems as people with standard dies.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have a problem you simply don't have a problem

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't say he had a problem, he asked if he should upgrade.

[ QUOTE ]
Competition this and competition that. If you have good brass with good neck tension it doesn't matter what dies made it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree <font color="blue"> MORE!! </font>
Good brass is definetly important, but can still be oversized (work hardened over time) and have TOO MUCH grip with standard dies and that can be adjusted with the comp dies.

[ QUOTE ]
I can almost guarantee you that if you give me a set of hornady dies and let me work with your brass and fine tune those dies I can make 90% of your loaded rounds come out to .003" and under for runout and your neck tension will be very consistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 90%?!?! And only .003"?!? My comp dies= 99% and less than .0015!

[ QUOTE ]
and in my book those factors will be how the bullet, powder, seating depth, match the harmonics of your barrel. Thats where 95% of your accuracy comes from!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but all those deal with your brass and if your brass isn't perfect, your accuracy CAN"T BE either!

Bushing dies are nothing new. Benchresters have been using them for decades because they produce the best results period.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

I have had the Rcbs comp die sets (.308 and 6.5x55) and now use Redding Comp dies - Neck type. The Redding shows less runout on the concentricty guage and I think is a better made product. When you unscrew the micrometer head out of the Rcbs comp seater the seater itself is held in alignment with a bubber "o" ring. Not to my mind the best of precision engineering practice. Wondered why the micrometer adjustments felt mushy and were less than repeatable.

I think goodgrouper is giving good advice.

David.