Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Competition die set, worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Competition die set, worth it?

I will second Sidecarflip's take on the RCBS comp seater. The increments are dead on at .001 every time, and the front window is convenient. The F/L die that comes with the set is also nice, but I believe that the biggest asset to the RCBS set is the seater.
Redding, on the other hand, makes exceptional dies. Their bushing dies are second to none.
Bottom line is, like anything else is, junk in , is junk out. The better the die, the better and more importantly CONCENTRIC ammo you will produce. My take is they are worth the extra $$$$ anyway.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

I have a love affair with black oxide finished tools, guns, precision instruments, anything. I prefer Parkerized or hot mineral salts controlled corrosion which is what Parkerizing is. Bluing comes in No 2 and painted a distant 3.

RCBS likes Parkerization. So do I. When I was doing my apprenticeship I got to stand watch ocassionally on the parkerizing tanks and transfer and wash parts. It's not a nice process but the end result is.

Most gage shops use it. I'd like to do it at home but the salts are caustic and probably hell on plumbing, plus it stinks.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Foster or Redding is the way to go. The seater die of the RCBS Competition Set will not give you the same accuracy as the 2 prior one's.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloader222 View Post
Foster or Redding is the way to go. The seater die of the RCBS Competition Set will not give you the same accuracy as the 2 prior one's.
Please put IMO in front of your post. That is your opinion, not necessarily the opinion of others......

Accuracy on seating depends entirely on prior preparation of components.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

My view is that it depends on the shooter's requirements, and perhaps his budget. I had quite a few rifles/calibers over the years, some used for competition, some for hunting, that I just bought a basic two dye kit and got great results. I have several rigs that I still use standard dyes and get .25-.5 MOA, run outs less than .003", and ES of less than 15FPS. I have also had a few rigs that shot best with certain bushings, lots of seating depth changes, and different components to get an optimum load. The competition kit sure came in handy. I would also have to say that in those cases I expected this before hand with the particular rifle or caliber and went for the competition set understanding that I wanted to do a lot of loadwork.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt