Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Competition die set, worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

Competition die set, worth it?

I have a friend that has a brand new RCBS competition die set for my 308 win. I checked midway and they seem to be upwards of $90 versus $32 i can get a standard die set for, he is asking $50. Is it worth the extra $18 or should i just pick up a standard 2 die set?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Competition die set, worth it?

I own 4 sets of Redding Competition dies, and they are easily worth $50 used. The seater is great becaUSE YOU CAN LOWER oal .001" at a time. The sizer requires appropriate bushings. The type S sizer is just as good.

Last edited by Gene; 01-13-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spell
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

It sure wont hurt.
I doubt you will see a difference on your targets unless you are using quality prepped brass
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I own 4 sets of Redding Competition dies, and they are easily worth $50 used. The seater is great becaUSE YOU CAN LOWER oal .001" at a time. The sizer requires appropriate bushings. The type S sizer is just as good.
I heard redding dies are the way to go, I can get a 2 die stnd set for around 35 but I can't find much information on these RCBS competition dies. Would it be better to go with standard redding dies or the RCBS competition.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Here's my input and I just purchased a complete 308 set FL/NS/Seater.

I get my dies peacemeal, that is, I like the RCBS Competition/Match grade bullet seater for a couple reasons, mainly because bullet insertion is in the front, through a machined window, You drop it in, not push it up underneath. I like that, always have, in fact, every caliber that I can get the front load seater, I get. I don't like putting the projectile in the bottom of the die, I want to see it physically and I want to see it get seated. The front load seater does just that.

I also like the RCBS bullet seater micrometer head. It has just enough tension to remain in a fixed position plus you can set it in 0.001 increments or halve the hash marks for a 0.0001 depth, not that, that would ever be necessary because contrary to opinion, multiple component tolerances in brass and projectiles (unless custom built) will never be better than 0.001 and probably much less.

I'm not a fan of RCBS non-bushing dies so I get Redding FL and NS dies. Add them to the RCBS Bullet seater in the RCBS box.

All your suppliers, Midway, Natchez, Sinclair, Graf's, sell seperate dies.

I'd buy the bullet seater and possibly the FL die and get a bushing NS fro Redding. FL resize is not as common as NS on bottleneck cases. I tend to only FL resize (Lapua excluded) only if switching chambers/rifles. Be sure to gage your brass for elongation and trim accordingly......

Having said that, RCBS offers bushing dies but I've never used them.

I use Lee for all my straight walled pistol cartridges BTW.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Another consideration: The Harrels F/L bushing sizer die is affordable and accurate. Send them $75 and 3 fired cases, you get a sizer that is custom fit to your chamber. Turn around time is about 2 weeks.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I'll probably take some flak for this but. IMO, strictly IMO, too much emphasis is placed on concentricity and case neck rounot. It's brass and swaged bullets. This isn't aerospace stuff. It's go bang.

Now, shooting over a mile is one thing but 99% of hunting and range shooting are distances well below that.

I've never been concerned with concentricity, runout or matching bullet weights in a 308. I load 'em and pop 'em.

My 338 is another matter......