Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Collet style bullet puller Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Collet style bullet puller Question

I'm in need of a little advice on which brand works best and is the easiest to use. I was browsing Midway and saw ones by Hornady, RCBS and Forster. Anybody that has used any of the above let me know what you think, or recommend another brand.
I'm working on a 7mm SAUM project and I find the cases won't fit in a RCBS kinnetic style bullet puller. Really don't need another hammer style even if the 7mm SAUM would fit.
Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 04-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Collet style bullet puller Question

When I learned of the danger of using Kinetic bullet pullers many years ago I bought all the collets for the R.C.B.S. and have never had a problem with them. I also use a Pair of plier type of pullers made by Davidson that work faster on light crimp ctgs.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Bronze Member

Not being stupid, but what danger with Kinetic pullers? Just for those of us that haven't heard.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Winmagman,

I use the kinetic puller (RCBS or Redding?) but use standard shellholders in it instead of the collet contraption, even for the big Weatherby case, 338 Lapua etc. but you'll need to open it up with a drill bit (9/16" to 5/8") slightly. There might be something in the cap that needs drilling out some if I remember correctly, to use a regular shellholder that is.

I've heard of the dangers of kinetic puller but never a real situation where a round has went off knocking a bullet out. I don't see how one could anyway. I see more of a safety issue seating primers than knocking bullets out. Another advantage with a kinetic puller is the bullets are not distorted and basically ruined when they come out.

At any rate it's an easy fix to fit the WSM and bigger cases in one.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Not being stupid, but what danger with Kinetic pullers? Just for those of us that haven't heard.

[/ QUOTE ] Years ago on a product review, the then Editor of Rifle and Handloader magazine, had a discharge with one in the office at Wolf publishing in the then down town office of Prescott, Arizona. This was related to me by the Man himself, Dr. Ken Howel. I've never been bitten by a rattle snake either, but then I've never stuck my hand in ones mouth to see if it's true, that they can cause harm. I've only taken the word of those That have been bitten. In response to Brent, I suppose shock may play a role. Does anyone remember why or how we have hazmat fees on shipping primers? It all started with a UPS driver that was killed shipping Federal primers. Anyone remember the sudden change that Federal made to there packaging afterwards? Has anyone ever walked over spilled powder such as H870 or 5010 on a concrete floor and noticed the popping sounds?
Old 04-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

P.S. Dr.Howell can be contacted on the web-site, 24 hour campfire.com and asked this same question! I believe the NRA conducted similar tests in the 1970's and came to similar conclusions. I don't sell or make either so really don't care what any of you use. Only use the two systems I mentioned in my first response. I do wonder about the fact that with the kinetic type puller you have a live ctg. contained just like in a rifle chamber. But what the hey, whatever turns you on.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

I use the RCBS and it works good, if you are a carpenter at heart get the kinetic type!