Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

cold barrel shot vs group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: cold barrel shot vs group

"You don't hunt at long range with a clean barrel anyway, if you have any sense at all. You foul your bore to a consistent result and then go hunting. People who are successful long range hunters have been doing this for a lot longer than I have been around."

This is not an accurate statement for everyone, or every rifle, just an assumption. I took a mule deer buck this year first shoot, clean cold bore at 803 yds. I worked my ***** off to get my rifle to do this. I do agree though if your rifle won't put the first shot where the rest go on a cold bore then zero it with a cold bore.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

My .338 WinMag is totally backwards as yours... First cold bore shot is dead on, then 2-5 gradually spans out bigger and bigger and grouping all over the board.

Which is why it's barrel is getting removed ASAP.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Couple of good points. My LR rifle shoots dead on verticaly but 4" left on clean bore cold bore. After that fouler it is good to go every time, cold or not. I think every rifle has its own personality. Mine also seems to be fine shot dirty, 50 plus, or cleaner less than 5....it's just that first round that does it.

....is it consistent? Here is my thought. If I shoot 1 round and it is dead on at 500 yards but the rest are not then I have a 1 round rifle. Such as Mudrunner, which he is changing. That means no follow up shot or multiple target shots. Seems no good to me either. So I don't personally care about a clean bore, I care if the bullet goes to the same spot consistently. When I go out shooting rocks my first round to my 20th need to be hitting the POA.

One thing I like about a rifle that works dirty is that you can be out hunting and still practicing. A couple of weeks ago I let the boys shoot at 1220 yards after we spotted several deer at that range. It was a perfect opportunity to bring practical knowledge to the table. We shot a rock and discussed the reason we didn't shoot at the deer. What I know is that after those 5 rounds my next 5 will still be dead on. Plus with a couple of 16 yr old boys they want to shoot things and goof off too. Works for me : )
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
If you sighted it in for the first round, it would suck if you had to do a follow up shot.
But There is plenty more than a gun that sucks about missing first shots.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
But There is plenty more than a gun that sucks about missing first shots.

Haha...very true.