Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

COAL or charge first?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Bronze Member

COAL or charge first?

Hey everyone, I just picked up some berger VLD's for my 7mm mag and from what ive read every where COAL is pretty important when making up your loads for the best accuracy. Ive never really played with COAL, ive usually just gone with whats in the book so this is pretty new to me. These are new loads so im starting from square one. When starting with these loads, should i work the COAL first where i start with a base charge say at 66gr(will be using H1000 powder) and start playing with the COAL, or should i seat all bullets the same and play with my powder charges first and then COAL? Thank you for any info you can give!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: COAL or charge first?

I did charge first, then COAL.

I picked a designated COAL and stuck with it. Found a powder and charge that it shot the best with. Then from there tinkered with COAL to shrink the groups even more.

What grain did you get? My 7Mag loves the Berger 168 VLD's backed by H1000.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

Ive read that the 7mag, 168vld's and H1000 is a great combo so thats what i went with. I took awhile to find the 168's and even the H1000 but I found some and im pretty excited to start loading and see what performance i get!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Once you get your charge figured out, and your depth set, I'm positive you will enjoy the results.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I'm working on the exact combo you are working on right now. I went out last night and found my max load. I started at 65 gr and worked up .5 gr at a time until I hit 70 gr. At 70 gr's I didn't have bolt lift issues but my primer was flat, so I called it good. So I'm gonna call 69.5 gr's my max load, and that's exactly what Load Data said would be my max load with the H1000 and the 168 bergers. So I was pretty pleased. Not to mention I was getting 3026 fps with the 69.5 gr round. I couldn't be more pleased with that! I was seating all of my bullets to the lands when doing my testing. I'm gonna do as berger says now and load several rounds at 69.5 gr's but play with the seating depth and see what I can get for accuracy. If I can get .5 moa I'll call it good. If I can't I'll play with different powder amounts after that and more seating depths. It was very windy yesterday when I was shooting, but I could really see the rounds starting to tighten up at 100 yards when I approached my max load, and that was with different powder amounts. I'm thinking that I will be able to get some good accuracy with just playing with my seating depths. Here is a picture of my target. The first two shots were at the bottom right (just to get on paper and see if my chrony worked). The next three were at the top right. The next three were at the bottom left, and the last three were at the top left. I didn't play with the scope adjustments at all mind you.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

was the top left your 69.5's?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deederswy View Post
was the top left your 69.5's?
Every shot was a different weight. The top left was 70, 69.5, and 69 gr's.