Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

coal and being .005 off lands issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

coal and being .005 off lands issue

I finally am able to measure my rifles coal to lands so I can start loading at .005 off the lands. For 3006 Nobler says 3.340 is max coal. However, I am getting 3.489 for accubonds and 3.454 for partitions. To be .005 off the lands that would mean accubonds would be 3.484 and partitions would be 3.449. These both are longer than Nosler's max. I loaded up a dummy accubond with noowder...it even looks rather funny sticking out so far compared to factory loads. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Re: coal and being .005 off lands issue

do you have a Savage Rifle
Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 PM

This is normal in a factory chambered rifle, the COAL listed in the book is to assure ammunition is standard for magazine length. If you are intending to seat 0.005" off the lands, you may or may not be able to use the magazine. As far as safety is concerned you can fire a round that is over max length, however it is recommended to start at a reduced powder charge and work up checking for pressure signs. Seating near or on the lands can create increased pressure.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyloader View Post
This is normal in a factory chambered rifle, the COAL listed in the book is to assure ammunition is standard for magazine length. If you are intending to seat 0.005" off the lands, you may or may not be able to use the magazine. As far as safety is concerned you can fire a round that is over max length, however it is recommended to start at a reduced powder charge and work up checking for pressure signs. Seating near or on the lands can create increased pressure.
I did not know about the extra pressure so thank you. It is a Remington mountain SS rifle. I wanted to load .005 off lands to try and get good accuracy and heard this is a good place to start. Not worried about magazine as it has a floor plate... so no magazine.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Loading very close to the lands can lead to pressure spikes. Pressure will decrease as you seat deeper

Read the sticky at the top of this forum

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ote=1&p=915883

where Berger recommends trying seating at much greater depths than you are talking about

It is very difficult to have a seating depth consistency of +-.002" (IME maybe its just me). If you are seating at .005" off then some could be .003" off and some could be .007" off, if you are very good at keeping seating pressure consistent. If you don't sort your bullets by bearing length, outside neck turn if you are using bushing dies, use expander mandrel, Lee Collets and have a very good hand on exactly consistent neck ID's, then you will have some that wind up touching the lands and some farther off.

For a benchrest competitor with lots of experience, .005" off is completely doable. For a hunter looking for accuracy and safety, not necessary to seat that close.

JMHO
Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Loading very close to the lands can lead to pressure spikes. Pressure

Read the sticky at the top of this forum

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ote=1&p=915883

where Berger recommends trying seating at much greater depths than you are talkinag about

It is very difficult to have a seating depth consistency of +-.002" (IME maybe its just me). If you are seating at .005" off then some could be .003" off and some could be .007" off, if you are very good

JMHO
I am not in competition but I do want to get the most accurate loads o can achieve, within reason. if .005 is going to be that difficult or wrong, then where should I start? I don't measure everything you stated above but I do measure every round after bullet seating and with my first loads... they were all within + or - .003 of eachother so for example the shortest was 3.332 and the longest was 3.335. this was with partitions. I just read that most factory rifles like a bullet jump of .020-.050 off the lands. Now I'm even more confused. I am just trying to get a load that is at least under 1moa. I shot factory corelokts in this rifle and they shot very nice at right around .75MOA so I know the rifle can do it but the first loads I made were 1.5moa. They were the ones I stated coal for. They were with rl22 powder and h4350. I made several loads with the rl22 but only one load so far with the h4350. Everything has shot around 1-1.5moa which is disappointing so far. I tried mostly partitions and a few loads of sierra game kings both 180grains.

PS I have loaded for my browning Xbolt with great results and consistency so I think my process so far has been ok.

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 02-05-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyloader View Post
Agree! Playing with seating depth can help accuracy, but start with a reduced load and work up.