Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Cleaning Shell cases.....Tumblers or ultrasonic cleaners ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Cleaning Shell cases.....Tumblers or ultrasonic cleaners ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin93 View Post
Thanks for the website for the stainless media Scott.

I do use the ceramic for my straight walled 45-90 black powder cases and it works very well. After I rinse them in a stainless screen type collandier preheat the oven to 200, put them on a cookie sheet that is just for this purpose, turn the oven off and put them in for about an hour or so. I can do 150 cases like this and have no problem with tarnish.
No problem, just throwing out some options....which you choose has no effect on my wallet.

Have never used the ceramic stuff....

Do you have any issues with case hardening? I'm still concerned with the stainless stuff hardening case necks....which could lead to reduced life without annealing. (An annealing machine is still on my short list of stuff to purchase, and I've been doing the put the case in water, heat with torch, tip over method...but really dislike this)

When I do the ultrasonic method(recipe on 6mmBR-cheap-clean), I do so after just de-priming. After the cases have been run through the Hornady unit, I places cases in the toaster over to dry, then re-size and finally tumble in a Dillon to apply the protection. The problem with that corn cob is you have to pick it out of the primer pocket(and sometimes flash hole).
As far as doing excessive amounts of cases.... No the ultrasonic method isn't the answer(unless you have a gaint ultrasonic unit). But I generally don't go to the field(or even range...which is sometimes the same place) and fire hundreds of rounds.

Is the stainless steel tumbler, ultrasonic cleaners a 'fad'?
Maybe, but both methods work....as long as you take the time to dry the brass correctly and then add protection to the cartridge.

Scott
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Do you have any issues with case hardening? I'm still concerned with the stainless stuff hardening case necks....which could lead to reduced life without annealing.
I've been doing annealing every so many firings in conjunction with stainless tumbling so I can't say if it doses or doesn't make a difference, but honestly... I think the work hardening from sizing and forming the cases during loading and firing is going to be more of an issue than what you get from tumbling. How would one tell the effects apart, without specialized test equipment?

Remember the cases are suspended in water, so they aren't exactly in free-fall inside that tumbler. The stainless seems far less abusive than the ceramic - and that mainly because I don't over-tumble like I did with the ceramic media.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I too use the Stainless Tumbling Media. It is awesome and seriously hands down the way to go. It's fast and easy!! I am amazed that brass can actually get as clean as it does with this process. The pictures are not a lie and I love it! Stainless Tumbling Media, reloading supplies, reload brass
Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtjr View Post
I really like the stainless steel media a38nd tumblers. Cleans great and even gets the primer pockets

I imagine that stainless steel media behaves like regular media, in that after x-amount of uses it becomes dirty and needs to be cleaned. If that's the case could you please tell me how and what do you use to cleane the stainless steel media?. How many times can you tumble the brass before the media needs cleaning? Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

rsm_38
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

Just run the tumbler empty (media + liquid + detergent, no brass) once in a while for a couple hours. If you rinse the media out pretty good on a regular basis, I'm not sure you even need to do that.

It's stainless steel pins, not rocket science ;)
Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Bronze Member

I have the Hornady sonic cleaner and I use their liquid cleaner. Most bottle-neck cases come clean if it's the first firing. The unit also cleans straight-walled cases as the 45/70 fired with black-powder loads but it takes 2-3 cleanings to say "they're clean" !

All of my cases must then spend some time in a vibratory type cleaner to get that "new" look again.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
Hiya Guys,

I am getting myself into reloading and am considering how to best clean my shell cases.

Can you give me your opinion please.

Ultrasonic cleaners or shell case tumblers ???

Please give only your experiences and not hear say.
I use a cheap Midway vibratory unit. Does the job very well (I use almost nothing but Lyman corncob media mixed with coarse ground corn meal). But If I ever buy another one, I'll buy the Lyman. It's a little easier to unload, and makes a smaller mess of things.
gary