Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Cleaning loaded cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cleaning loaded cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrap View Post
loaded ammo say 50-100 rounds cooking of in your loading room
or garage.what would you tell the insurance company and the fire dept.
to risky for me.
Nothing.

A round, any round thats not contained in a chamber simply goes 'phoooooooof with the primer is ignited. No biggie. But they aren't going to ignite (primer) by tumbling in a vibratory tumbler, the primer needs a sharp concentrated blow to ignite. Won't ever hapopen in any vibratory tumbler......never ever.

Don't believe me? Take a handfull and toss 'em in your BBQ grill and observe.

I've been tumbling finished, loaded rounds for years prior to boxing them. I've decapped numerous unactivated primers with no issue either. I use a Wilson decapping tool and my arbor press.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Nothing.

A round, any round thats not contained in a chamber simply goes 'phoooooooof with the primer is ignited. No biggie.

Yeah it's like magic..."POOOOF" you have no fingers!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Cleaning loaded cases-.50cal-hand.gif  

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrap View Post
loaded ammo say 50-100 rounds cooking of in your loading room
or garage.what would you tell the insurance company and the fire dept.
to risky for me.
In your loading room not in your hand. I seriously doubt that carnage was from igniting powder anyway. There is no cauterization from the burning powder. Looks more like a mechanical injury, most likely a motorcycle chain or a machine tool.

Mythbusters did an expose' on the myth of igniting powder in a case with bullet, not chambered. You obviously missed it.

Bottom line is, I'll do it my way and you do it yours.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

I am not worried about a round cooking of in a tumber, i am more worried about the tumbler changing the burn rate of the powder by breaking it down. Powders are coated with graphite and other substances to retard burning, slowing down the burn rate. Tumble long enough and grind your powder down, you have a case loaded with a huge charge of way fater than expected powder. Best case, you wind up with inconsistant rounds, worst case you get the equivelant of a case full of Bullseye and spontanious rifle disassembly. Not on my list of fun things to see and do in this lifetime!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
In your loading room not in your hand. I seriously doubt that carnage was from igniting powder anyway. There is no cauterization from the burning powder. Looks more like a mechanical injury, most likely a motorcycle chain or a machine tool.

Mythbusters did an expose' on the myth of igniting powder in a case with bullet, not chambered. You obviously missed it.

Bottom line is, I'll do it my way and you do it yours.
Negative! That picture was sent out as an alert from the Department of the Army, it was a .50 BMG round that exploded in a soldier's hand in Iraq...not in a chamber!

As far as Mythbusters is concerned...you keep getting your data from goobers on tv and doing things your way. I'll get my scientific data from the rest of the know it alls on the internet.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Bronze Member

Most case lubes are water based, so I will tumble and size/decap them and then put them in a big container with some dishsoap and hot water. I stir them up and then rinse the crud off. It really is some nasty water that comes out. Then it's off to the oven for a 250* bake for an hr.
I've had a lot of problems with some reloads I inherited because of case lube. My AR's won't shoot many before the carbonized lube starts rearing it's ugly head, mostly by not allowing the bolt to get to battery before the case gets stuck.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Negative! That picture was sent out as an alert from the Department of the Army, it was a .50 BMG round that exploded in a soldier's hand in Iraq...not in a chamber!

As far as Mythbusters is concerned...you keep getting your data from goobers on tv and doing things your way. I'll get my scientific data from the rest of the know it alls on the internet.
Interesting.

Incidentially, I just had the third batch of 150 loaded 223's in the tumbler for the finall clean/polish before boxing. That is almost 1500 rounds this time, not counting the close to 5,000 I have already put away for my shooting at the club.

Far as the government goes, I believe about 10% of what they say is gospel and disregard the rest as propaganda... and I'm not buying into your carnage picture, in fact, it's highly unlikely.

Sort of like the supposed decapping live primers and the resultant carnage..... Done that too, many times. I'm still here. Have all my digits too.

Don't get me wrong, there are always a couple different ways to approach any issue. The way I do it works just fine for me though it may not work for you.

Far as Mythbusters goes, it's simple physics actually. The only resistance to the expanding gases as the powder oxidizes, is the seated projectile, which. we all know is seated in the neck at a resistance value that allows the powder charge to unseat it (projectile) with a minimum amount of expansive effort (one reason for crimping projectiles in semi-automatic or magazine fed rifles/pistols, where recoil can move the projectiles in the magazine.

That resistance is designed to be minimal, consequently, as the powder oxidizes, the projectile is pushed from the neck and the powder essentially flashes with no appreciable force expended because there is no restraint.

Put another way, throw an aersol can in a fire. the propellant inside reaches a critical expansion value from the heat of the fire, but, the plastic nozzle melts first and the can simply goes woooosh. So long as the contained volume can escape unimpeded, there is no explosion or abrupt discharge.

Thas how it works, always has worked and will work forever or until your government removes firearms from the citizens.

That picture of the hand, if caused by a 50BMG round going off, there were mitigating circumstances involved, where the round was constrained and the projectile was not allowed free movement. I'm not saying that you won't get injured, you'd probably get burned, but, the amount of damage to the hand isn't comensurate with the detonation of an unrestrained shell in the size of a .50BMG, which, is similar to the 338 Lapua's I also tumble prior to putting away.

Furthermore, this whole scenario (tumbling loaded cartridges) has been discussed on thie site before, with, I might add, the same sort of concerns. I was tumbling my reloads then as I am now. I like 'em clean. I like 'em free from fingerprints and the oil on your skin that causes oxidation of the brass. I pull them from the media with cotton gloves on and box 'em and will continue to do so.

My personal feeling is that you are more at risk driving your car in traffic than tumbling loaded shells.