Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Cleaning brass - inside case still dirty??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM

Cleaning brass - inside case still dirty??

I have been reloading for years and tumble my brass like anybody else with corn cob media. The outside of the case comes sparkling clean but the inside of the case and the primer pocket does not and is usually still carbon black even after multiple tumbling sessions of two to three hours each. I usually need to clean the primer pockets with a hand cleaning tool.
Any better ideas or is there a cleaning step that somebody has before you tumble your brass? I'm at wits end.

Sharktown
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Cleaning brass - inside case still dirty??

When you get to about the third loading of your brass, take a Q-Tip and wipe it around the inside of the case a little. You'll be surprised how much crud is really in there.

I haven't tried one yet, but I'm starting to look into the Ultra Sonic cleaners. Hornady has made one for a while that I think had some shortcomings, but they just came out with what looks like a nicer one. Wish I could give some better feedback on the quality of these machines, but I just don't know yet. Maybe check the feedback at Midway. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Gold Member

I have the Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner and I use their liquid concentrated cleaner with it. My brass looks new, inside and out, after just a few cycles.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARHEAD1371 View Post
I have the Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner and I use their liquid concentrated cleaner with it. My brass looks new, inside and out, after just a few cycles.
A drill press and a nylon pistol brush work pretty good.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

You can scrap out the primer pocket before tumbling.
But the carbon layer inside cases is not a problem to worry about. It pretty much settles to a thickness that doesn't hurt anything.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have a tumbler and an ultrasonic cleaner; my brass goes in the tumbler. The US is too wet, messy and slow for cases, IMHO, and the extra "cleaning" is meaningless.

IF you just gotta have a pristine appearance inside your cases as well as outside, get a rotary tumber and use it wet with bits of stainless steel wire media. It's still a mess but it cleans more brass much faster than a typical reloader type US.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Sharktown,

I'm pretty much in line with everyone else here.

1) I have used vibratory tumblers for many years, and they do a great job. No, they don't clean primer pockets or case interiors.

2) Picked up a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner a year or so ago, and it does a better job of cleaning the case interiors and primer pockets. They're messy and can be pretty time consuming. I load in very large batches. For doing 20-40 cases of hunting type ammo, they do fairly well. For doing a couple thousand 223 cases for Service Rifle Match ammo, way too slow.

3) Haven't tried the rotary tumblers with the stainless steel pin media, but I suspect I will pretty soon. Appears that they do at least as well, if not better than the US cleaners on the primer pockets and case interiors. They also appear to be pretty messy, but as I've said, there's no free lunch.

4) While I've tried many other methods, I always seem to find my way back to the vibratory tumblers. They don't clean the interiors or the primer pockets, and I'm actually pretty okay with that. The interior stuff seems to have virtually zero effect on the loads, and the primer pockets can go a long, long way before they truly need to be cleaned. When they do, one of the manual tools does a good and very quick job, and gives you an opportunity to do a little case inspection. That's a good thing.

I worry about Iran getting the bomb, the national debt and the shocking lack of leadership being shown by our elected officials. But I don't lose much sleep over a little carbon fouling on the insides of my cases. Pick your battles.